Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebarrel contour

Rebarrel contour

Choosing what exactly to do for my next rifle is a nightmare. Ive got a few options but the one question Im struggling with is barrel contour.
    Im wanting something that will hold up to some 12-15 strings of shots for informal target but will want to carry it round stalking rough ground. Ive seen the heavy sporter profile and also the lightweight Palma but what are the pro's and cons of each?
    So oh wise ones....
    Anyone any advice
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Oh and Ive had a look at the diagrams on the barrel makers websites but it doesn't really visualise what they are like finished
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Your stock might make the choice for you, my sako 75 Macmillan was inletted to accommodate a lw super magnum sporter profile, and that's as fat as I could go. Shoots pretty well, I'd let the builder advise how big you can go without detriment to the stock.

Cheers Gary, how do you find the weight carrying it?
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

I have three 308's with custom barrels. All shoot very well.
    1) Sako L579 with the mentioned Lothar Walther Super magnum Sporter 1450 profile 22". This is possibly the best compromise. She holds POI with 20 shot F-Class style target shooting. This match barrel has been great from day one. Weighs 4.1kg including rail, mounts, scope but without bipod.

2) My Mauser with a much thinner Lothar Walther Chrome Moly Mauser profile 720 or 722? Anyway 16.5mm at 20". Shot one F-Class style 300yd comp with her and did not notice any wandering of shots. Rifle without scope 6.6lbs. Holds about 3" at 400m, at 100 she'll be under 1/2".

3) Last, my light tactical, weighs complete with scope in pic 4.2kg (9.24lb). Has a 20" Bartlein medium Palma barrel. Very accurate as expected. I have not used her at a comp yet but tested her out to 500yds, grouped around 3". Well under 1/2"at 100.

edi

Dan Iv got a LW Palma profile finished at 21" 19mm at the muzzle, more accurate than me I carry it don't take much notice it's just about right, if your looking for a barrel that will cope with the amount if shots your talking about, I think you may need a bit of meet there...

got a wl .243 on the rpa hunter thumb hole fluted 17x1 shoots very very well would't wish to carry it all day but off/out the motor cracking also got a unwanted t8 ! after 20rds still able to to grab the barrel and have a warm up. no unwanted flex or lost p.o.i to speak of .

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    got a wl .243 on the rpa hunter thumb hole fluted 17x1 shoots very very well would't wish to carry it all day but off/out the motor cracking also got a unwanted t8 ! after 20rds still able to to grab the barrel and have a warm up. no unwanted flex or lost p.o.i to speak of .
    Which LW have you got Paul?
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Be guided by your gunsmith mate. I have a 6x47 with Remington varmint profile. Don't really notice the weight difference over my sako sporter but do notice the extra length.
    Atb Steve

this one feller 8.8 pounds without scope etc has a 24" barrel just under an 1" od
    Last edited by paul o'; 21-09-2013 at 09:31.