Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7,5x55 Swiss for Hunting

7,5x55 Swiss for Hunting

Hello folks,

On the off chance, has anyone any experience of using the 7.5x55 Swiss as a hunting round? The removal of French military calibre restrictions has got me thinking...

So, I'd appreciate anyone's experience / thoughts on ammunition and suitability. Had a look at the Norma website and they load a 180gr Oryx which seems to be good an paper...

So, thanks in advance for your input.

ATB,

Scrummy

So close to a 7 x 64 why bother? Remember the South African saying!

David.

Ahhhh tis actually much closer to .308 Winchester and even uses .38 bullets so it actually an excellent round.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Ahhhh tis actually much closer to .308 Winchester and even uses .38 bullets so it actually an excellent round.
    Agreed. Excellent cartridge. I have eight or nine Swiss straight-pulls; four of which are K-31s which I consider one of the best built rifles in the world; military or no. They have excellent triggers and are decidedly accurate. When the K31's hit market bottom for price ($149 US) I wanted to drill and tap one for a scope and make a hunting rifle out of it but the prices bounced immediately when the supply dried up. I have a 1911 Engineer's Carbine that someone drilled, tapped, and otherwise abused already so I'm not entirely out of that idea yet. I shoot mostly cast bullets from my Swiss. They were my favorite weapon for the off hand (standing) part of the cast bullet competitions. I won a couple of the 200M shoots with a Model 96/11 and an RCBS 168 grain bullet @ around 2000 fps. I once had a Hammerli Heavy Target rifle on a K-31. Beautiful rifle, but the kids needed the things that kids need so it went. (sigh!)

But I sidetracked. Have at it! It will be a fine hunting cartridge.~Muir

PS: Can you get reloadable brass for that round? And what kind of rifle??
    Last edited by Muir; 21-09-2013 at 14:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Agreed. Excellent cartridge. <snip>

But I sidetracked. Have at it! It will be a fine hunting cartridge.~Muir

PS: Can you get reloadable brass for that round? And what kind of rifle??
    Answer = yes you can.

As already pointed out it is very close to .308. If you're thinking about a Schmidt-Rubin straightpull action I'd advise cycling the bolt a few times to gauge the mechanical noise level - and it's not an action which wants to be cycled slowly/gently.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkathreebarrels View Post
    Answer = yes you can.

As already pointed out it is very close to .308. If you're thinking about a Schmidt-Rubin straightpull action I'd advise cycling the bolt a few times to gauge the mechanical noise level - and it's not an action which wants to be cycled slowly/gently.
    I should have said, " ...brass other than Norma or PPU." which are the only available brass here. I waws thinking Swiss Military. Wasn't sure if they used Berdan priming. For years I have made 7.5x55 from 284 Winchester.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I should have said, " ...brass other than Norma or PPU." which are the only available brass here. I waws thinking Swiss Military. Wasn't sure if they used Berdan priming. For years I have made 7.5x55 from 284 Winchester.~Muir
    I've deprimed some berdan Swiss brass and reloaded it - no problem - excellent brass and usually free!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    So close to a 7 x 64 why bother? Remember the South African saying!

David.
    Ah, it wouldn't be for me

And not sure if it would be in a sporterised K31 or in a bolt action (Voere chamber it on request). Depends what you can shoot on Swiss ranges you see...

(All stems from Dave thinking of getting a bolt action and the Frenchies lifting the majority of their military calibre restrictions. But Swiss ranges have some restrictions.. still a concept in progress but will keep you posted).

Muir, any ideas on who makes ready rolled ammo for it?

Funny thing is that I do believe that I still have some new un-primed boxer brass for this cartridge somewhere.

"Muir, any ideas on who makes ready rolled ammo for it?" When we were last at the range wasn't there a chap shooting it on that straigh pull job so it must be available in Tobleroneland.

David.