Cleveland Police - Simply the best (we know a song about that!)

Vipa

Just want to offer my thanks to Cleveland Police for fantastic service that other forces should aspire to..

Dropped my ticket off on Tuesday night at Police HQ with a lengthy list of 1 for 1s and requests for permission wordings.. 4 days later and my updated ticket lands on the door mat all spot on and with the following conditions:

"The firearm(s) and ammunition shall be used for shooting any lawful quarry suitable for that calibre and for zeroing on ranges or land over which the holder has authority to shoot"

How awesome is that... no more ambiguity, no more confusion just good old plain decent common sense and interpretation and application of legislation..

I really cant praise my local force enough... at least one good reason to live in the armpit of Britain! lol

How awesome is that... no more ambiguity, no more confusion just good old plain decent common sense and interpretation and application of legislation..
But this is how it should be... the Police are public servants, we pay them to work for us and in return we expect good service.

To be fair Cleveland is a small county, they will not have the firearms work north yorkshire has.
But credit where it is due
As far as i can understand most of the work done by the north yorkshire licencing is done by civilians.
Money is tight at Newby Whiske if you go after tea to drop off your variation, they cant even afford a letter box, i had to go back home with it in my pocket!!! (north yorks must be britains largest county).
When they make me king i will bring back hanging and make sure police HQs can afford a letter box
:rofl::stir::rofl:

My nephew had problems with Cleveland Police turning up at his parents home where he lived, complete with their side arms etc and demanding to see his firearms. Problem was, his firearms were legitimately stored in my cabinet as he only did his shooting with me. When he applied for a moderator it was refused with them stating, Cleveland Police don't allow moderators.
When his certificate was renewed they failed to give him the open certificate stating they had to check all land he had to shoot over. The Police randomly continued to call at his home to check his firearms which were not there and when his certificate was again due for renewal he received a letter from same force that his certificate had now been revoked with the reason given, he did not purchase enough ammunition and the rule is, use it or lose it. They also stated several other reasons which related to the Cullen enquiry.

He contacted B.A.S.C and they informed him that he would lose in court so let it go but I being a fighter decided to try and help him as I had a copy of his letter and had something to research.
I put together a document which highlighted the forces reasons for revoking his certificate and information which I found on the internet, mainly from the Lord Cullen enquiry which was orientated around handguns. I also printed out the rules pertaining to obtaining a firearm certificate, good reason etc .

In crown court my nephew was asked who was representing him and he informed them that his uncle,(me) was going to attend to give evidence but the Police had refused this stating that they should have known about me earlier, however he had a document from me for the court.
This document was read by the judge during the break after the prosecution had had their say and justice prevailed.

The judge asked the prosecution barrister if he had a copy of the home office guidelines on firearms and to point out exactly where it stated their allegations. He could not but stated, that was their interpretation. The judge would not accept this as it was not up to interpretation. As for use it or lose it, he stated that the law states you give good reason for each firearm and the defendant had clearly done this as his firearm was granted, and as a recreational stalker who only stalked two or three times a year with no guarantees of a shot, other than checking the zero he would not be expected to use large numbers of rounds as would be expected of a person with handguns used for target practice.

Cleveland Police were ordered to reissue my nephews certificate and also give him the open certificate and the moderator condition.

I phoned B.A.S.C to inform them of the outcome and they were amazed that he had won but were even more shocked to fine he had also been granted an open certificate and moderator condition.

Sadly, the Police kept on harassing my nephew which escalated into random spot checks of his vehicle for alleged faulty lights or whatever and the next time his certificate was up for renewal he gave up the battle and surrendered it, resulting in me buying his firearms.

All this happened during the handgun years so a few years ago now and things have changed within firearms licensing so they hopefully have mellowed since then, they certainly will be aware that they are not the final say in firearms and can be beaten in court.

Elmer

My nephew had problems with Cleveland Police turning up at his parents home where he lived, complete with their side arms etc and demanding to see his firearms. Problem was, his firearms were legitimately stored in my cabinet as he only did his shooting with me. When he applied for a moderator it was refused with them stating, Cleveland Police don't allow moderators.
When his certificate was renewed they failed to give him the open certificate stating they had to check all land he had to shoot over. The Police randomly continued to call at his home to check his firearms which were not there and when his certificate was again due for renewal he received a letter from same force that his certificate had now been revoked with the reason given, he did not purchase enough ammunition and the rule is, use it or lose it. They also stated several other reasons which related to the Cullen enquiry.

He contacted B.A.S.C and they informed him that he would lose in court so let it go but I being a fighter decided to try and help him as I had a copy of his letter and had something to research.
I put together a document which highlighted the forces reasons for revoking his certificate and information which I found on the internet, mainly from the Lord Cullen enquiry which was orientated around handguns. I also printed out the rules pertaining to obtaining a firearm certificate, good reason etc .

In crown court my nephew was asked who was representing him and he informed them that his uncle,(me) was going to attend to give evidence but the Police had refused this stating that they should have known about me earlier, however he had a document from me for the court.
This document was read by the judge during the break after the prosecution had had their say and justice prevailed.

The judge asked the prosecution barrister if he had a copy of the home office guidelines on firearms and to point out exactly where it stated their allegations. He could not but stated, that was their interpretation. The judge would not accept this as it was not up to interpretation. As for use it or lose it, he stated that the law states you give good reason for each firearm and the defendant had clearly done this as his firearm was granted, and as a recreational stalker who only stalked two or three times a year with no guarantees of a shot, other than checking the zero he would not be expected to use large numbers of rounds as would be expected of a person with handguns used for target practice.

Cleveland Police were ordered to reissue my nephews certificate and also give him the open certificate and the moderator condition.

I phoned B.A.S.C to inform them of the outcome and they were amazed that he had won but were even more shocked to fine he had also been granted an open certificate and moderator condition.

Sadly, the Police kept on harassing my nephew which escalated into random spot checks of his vehicle for alleged faulty lights or whatever and the next time his certificate was up for renewal he gave up the battle and surrendered it, resulting in me buying his firearms.

All this happened during the handgun years so a few years ago now and things have changed within firearms licensing so they hopefully have mellowed since then, they certainly will be aware that they are not the final say in firearms and can be beaten in court.

Elmer

Everything changes... during the handgun years I fell under Lancashire.. the firearms boys used to call round regularly for a brew and a natter.. I am sure they were just doing their job but it was a very welcome, friendly approach.. the boys were a good laugh, very helpful and did a very good job..

2 decades later and Lancs can be a bit of a mare if you read what some of our fellow members have been put through with them..
20 years plus is a very, very long time!

Cleveland police, the firearms office and staff and Bruce, the FLO, have been nothing but fast, efficient, friendly and as helpful as one could want in all my dealings with them..
I have nothing but praise for Dawn and her team.

I can only endorse the excellent service I have received from Cleveland Police Firearms Licencing over the many years I have dealt with them. I don't understand how the someone can state "Cleveland Police don't allow moderators", this is totally untrue, unless this was a moderator for a hand gun perhaps ? Anyweay as Vipa said Cleveland Police are very efficient and usually turn paperwork round in days rather than weeks, Bruce the FLO is a reasonable guy but no fool, it makes you wonder why other regional forces can't all operate the same manner.

I take offence to being called a liar, claiming this is totally untrue. You obviously have only dealt with Cleveland Police since F.E.O.s have come on the scene. Moderator was for a .308 rifle and Cleveland Police did not allow anybody to have one, at that time. As I mentioned this was all a long time ago before F.E.O.s The rule now is that everyone can have one if you apply for it. Don't make a comment that you can not substantiate, ie if you have not held your certificate with Cleveland Police with the moderator condition on it for more than say 20 years then don't make the comment.

Gwent Police also had a policy of not allowing anybody to have a moderator for a full bore rifle until I challenged them with a good friend who had a lot of clout and the moderator condition was duly allowed. All forces have to comply with the home office guidelines and so should be singing from the same hymn sheet

I take offence to being called a liar, claiming this is totally untrue. You obviously have only dealt with Cleveland Police since F.E.O.s have come on the scene. Moderator was for a .308 rifle and Cleveland Police did not allow anybody to have one, at that time. As I mentioned this was all a long time ago before F.E.O.s The rule now is that everyone can have one if you apply for it. Don't make a comment that you can not substantiate, ie if you have not held your certificate with Cleveland Police with the moderator condition on it for more than say 20 years then don't make the comment.

Gwent Police also had a policy of not allowing anybody to have a moderator for a full bore rifle until I challenged them with a good friend who had a lot of clout and the moderator condition was duly allowed. All forces have to comply with the home office guidelines and so should be singing from the same hymn sheet

I have had my Section 1 for 30 years at a time when policemen visited not FLO's, my first purchase was a 22 rimfire complete with moderator. Take as much offence as you like, you used the word liar not me.

photopro

my apologies for not making it clear from the start that my nephew had applied for a full bore moderator.

It was one of those day's yesterday when I just had to vent off some steam and this was the first opportunity and it is not my normal behaviour. My nephew has had some severe treatment from Cleveland Police for whatever reason for which he has paid the ultimate price. I wont go into this any further as it is best for his legal representation to carry on with their investigations.
Just out of interest, when did Cleveland start giving the moderator condition for full-bores ?

​elmer

North Yorkshire have been spot on with me for the past nearly 3 years.

No problems when i moved up here, very simple variation for a s1. shotgun at the same time.

Renewal time came round and i was a bit tardy sending it back. Posted it last Wednesday and the FEO came round with it to check my security etc out the following Tuesday with the certificate in his had and Any Legal Quarry put on it at their own instigation.

Top marks!

Back