Thread: That's not a knife... (Very pix heavy)

That's not a knife... (Very pix heavy)

​So,I got a request for something a bit different from a guy who already has one of my knives - some people never learn!!!!

The brief was, "something for gutting and boning, and a cleaver for breaking up the bigger bits, matching would be nice, oh, and make it pretty!" Basically, these are to be used for breaking carcasses, fallow and red predominantly, and a few lambs here and there.

So here it is...

The cleaver is approx 6mm thick, the blade is 230mm long. Both handles are antler, brass, black fibre and burr walnut. The leather seems to have developed some weird spotting, but I don't think it'll detract from the usefulness of the two tools! The engraving and filework was done by Tat2trev, over on BCUK. I reckon he's done a good job! (My photographic skills don't really show it off too well!)

The whole lot fits together on the leather straps, but if the knife needs to go out on its own, it can be detached and hung from a dangler. I can't think of a reason to take the cleaver out on its own. "Oh, sorry officer, I've been fishing and just forgot I had it," really ain't gonna work with this!

Anyway, its on its way to its new owner later today, so, what do you think?

Very nice the knife has the most usefull looking shape for gralloching ,anal cavity I've seen on the SD, most look like bushcraft type blades far too wide for my taste
    cheers
    ​norma

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    A rugged looking outfit too,what steel was used for the chopper?
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

It's 01 tool steel, so it'll take a bit of looking after. Easy to maintain, though!

nice working tools feller no fuss or pretence

That looks like a very handy and well made piece of kit and surely quite a unique combination in one combined sheath?

I have to ask why all the hammer indents?

The client wanted a 'rustic' finish! Most of my stuff has what is known as a 'brute de forge' finish. Brute de forge translates directly from the medieval french as 'lazy b****r who can't be bothered to clean up properly'.

the frogs love this finish my mate an ex knife make use to get the blades cheap at the French game fairs some were oil blue and came out very nice he would make some up but we meaning the English did't like this kind of look so he stopped , i quite like it reminds me of a pulling blade my old grand feller made from a busted mill saw blade. i like it.

Quote Originally Posted by juttle View Post
    The client wanted a 'rustic' finish! Most of my stuff has what is known as a 'brute de forge' finish. Brute de forge translates directly from the medieval french as 'lazy b****r who can't be bothered to clean up properly'.
    Last edited by paul o'; 22-09-2013 at 08:41.

Errrrr Ok.

​Thank you for answering my question. The scaled natural finish I would have thought was rustic enough but that's just my honest opinion.