Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zeroing New Sako A7 .243

Zeroing New Sako A7 .243

Earlier in the week I reserved a Tikka T3 Light in .243 just waiting for the variation to come through. I tried in the shop alongside the Sako A7 and at the time, preferred the feel (and price) of the T3. Going into collect yesterday, I just thought I'd try the two alongside each other again and was glad I did. No doubt the T3 is a very fine rifle, but for me it felt like the Sako had the edge, with the added benefit of the ability to load the magazine through the open bolt. Already owing a Sako Quad in .17 HMR, it was also nice to be able to stick with the same maker.

Just back from zeroing today and I am indeed very relieved I didn’t opt for the T3. The A7 handles like a dream and the ability to load through the open bolt is so much easier than having to remove the mag each time. I fired 55 rounds and by the end she had consistently settled to ¾ inch at 100 with 90g Sako Gamehead Soft Point’s. I also tried the Hornady 95g Custom SST and apart from a slightly different MOA, I couldn’t split them, both as good as the other. Whilst the “boom” of the larger calibre is clearly a lot louder than the HMR’s “crack”, it doesn’t appear to have affected my hearing/tinnitus quite the same, so great news all round.

Next week (or possibly evenings this week) I’ll be looking to plot the MOA at 50m, 75m, 150m, 200m, 250m and 300m and after that, move onto sticks in advance of my first stalk for 18th October. Although I have deferred DSC1 until February, my mentor has kindly lent me his manual which I'm steadily working through. My mentor has also very kindly offered to come and show me how to properly prepare the carcass, should the stalk be successful (I'm hoping to serve a joint of venison from my first stalk for my 40th birthday family meal on the Sunday).

Sincere thanks to SD for all the help and advice getting me this far.

I have the A7 in 22-250, absolute dream to shoot. Mine likes the Hornady 50 grn 3/4 inch straight out of the box.
    Ive put in for a Tikka T3 in .204 also

Nice write up tjm

Ive got a .308 A7 and love it... I put 123g sako soft points through it
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Nice wee write up!

I zeroed my .270 A7 stainless today with similar results. I broke it in with some Norma 110gr Vmax (as their cheap) followed by some Norma 130gr soft points - seems to like both equally.

Thanks gents and brilliant to see so many other A7 owners "coming out" I searched for A7 threads to see what the consensus was before purchasing and didn't find many positive comments. Seems many have been hiding their lamps under bushels and the A7 has a following after all

On negative experienced was the heat/mirage effect through the scope after even just a few rounds. Is this normal / common to most guns?

very good rifle mine is also in 243

Quote Originally Posted by tjm160 View Post
    On negative experienced was the heat/mirage effect through the scope after even just a few rounds. Is this normal / common to most guns?
    you will probably find the haze is coming more from the moderator than the barrel

Thanks and is this normal i.e. happens with most mods?

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm160 View Post
    Thanks and is this normal i.e. happens with most mods?

yes it does.

all i used to do was slow down on the shots, thus allowing the rifle/mod to cool.

best wishes

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube