Thread: Stock materials?

Stock materials?

Hello, Im just looking at getting my first deer stalking rifle as soon as my certificate arrives, I like in the North west and will be stalking Red Roe and Fallow all locally. I have am getting a .308 as it suits my needs best and I seem to shoot well with it. I have been looking at new rifles as I will be able to claim the vat back and it also opens up the price range a little as well, I have looked at the sako A7, Tikka t3 and Sako 85 along with a few others. Please can anyone advise me on getting a wood or synthetic stock, My rifle will be getting wet in all probability as I will be using it year round on the hills on the hind culls and summers not any dryer in the north. I know that wood can swell and possibly cause the stock to touch the barrel a throw off the zero. I seem to shoot better with a heavier rifle as it reduces movement and also absorbs more recoil so was considering going for a t3 hunter or an sako 85 wooden stocked rifle but dont want my rifles accuracy to be affected by swelling stock. The other option may be to to with a T3 lite and go with a heavier over barrel mod to reduce muzzle flip and add weight without making it too muzzle heavy, anyone with any advice/suggestions?
    Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ju13 View Post
    Hello, Im just looking at getting my first deer stalking rifle as soon as my certificate arrives, I like in the North west and will be stalking Red Roe and Fallow all locally. I have am getting a .308 as it suits my needs best and I seem to shoot well with it. I have been looking at new rifles as I will be able to claim the vat back and it also opens up the price range a little as well, I have looked at the sako A7, Tikka t3 and Sako 85 along with a few others. Please can anyone advise me on getting a wood or synthetic stock, My rifle will be getting wet in all probability as I will be using it year round on the hills on the hind culls and summers not any dryer in the north. I know that wood can swell and possibly cause the stock to touch the barrel a throw off the zero. I seem to shoot better with a heavier rifle as it reduces movement and also absorbs more recoil so was considering going for a t3 hunter or an sako 85 wooden stocked rifle but dont want my rifles accuracy to be affected by swelling stock. The other option may be to to with a T3 lite and go with a heavier over barrel mod to reduce muzzle flip and add weight without making it too muzzle heavy, anyone with any advice/suggestions? Many thanks
    Wooden stock swelling! No need to stress about this.
    I does happen,sometimes. But you find it comes back. If in the unlikely event it does happen it is easily fixed.

What the plastic fantastic crowd will not tell you is the plastic will warp too.

I assume as your rifle will be used almost constantly, if it gets wet you will dry it off. Even if it is stainless!? If that is the case. A rag with a bit of oil on it after you have dryed the gun off will maintain the wood nicely.

Tikka, and unless stated , Sako, use tulip wood now. It has the same density as walnut but is more easy to get.

IMHO it is a very good timber and I like it.
    Easy to work. Easy to stain. Easy to finish.
    The trouble is most won't know what wood is on thier rifle if they were just asked to identify it. Unless it is highly figured most will assume it is a bit of sub standard walnut (god only made walnut for gun stocks after all).

But there is no loss to it. Tulip works very well and suits rifles made in that price bracket.

Buy a wood stocked rifle and enjoy it. No harm is going to come to it. In most cases it was the way the stock was seasoned (tulip works well here too as it seasons quickly) before it was carved that gives it problems. Or the guy that had to pick that piece of wood was having a bad day and just didn't look at the timber he was using(happens more than you know). The dreaded warp can be eliminated by the stocker by selecting the wood properly. Problem here is that in a factory, most of time that level of interest by the stocker is not there. So tulip, happly is much more forgiving!

Warping in a factory stocked, wood stocked rifle can happen. I have seen holland and holland stocks warp too!
    But if you are using that rifle almost every day. You will see issues long before they matter. If you use a rifle 1-2 times a year. Than the effects will much more noticed when you do go to use the rifle.

I am sure PKL, OALF , BRIT, and MUIR will all agree with me when I say. A wood stocked rifle used every day. Will stand up to the environment it is used with out missing a beat.

One last thing on recoil. Get some ear plugs and a muzzel break. Weighs less, balances the rifle better reduces recoil.

But protect your ears with plugs.