Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full kit or build up bit by bit ?

Full kit or build up bit by bit ?

H gents I'm looking at getting into reloading when I get back to work and get some cash together , my question is , is it wirth getting a full reloading kit or build up the tools bit by bit?
    ​Many thanks. Jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    H gents I'm looking at getting into reloading when I get back to work and get some cash together , my question is , is it wirth getting a full reloading kit or build up the tools bit by bit?
    ​Many thanks. Jim
    Jim. I bought an RCBS kit back in 2006. All I have left is the press, the powder thrower, RCBS priming tool and the lube pad. Everything else has been replaced. Regards JCS

Jim, there are some decent deals available on full reloading kits, spud does
    one for example.
    When i started I just bought the items that I actually needed just to
    get started (and made some really accurate rounds with just the basics)
    Everyones different but I would recommend buying only what you
    need then buying more advanced and quality kit as you feel ready
    for it.

Hi JCS thanks for your reply I've been looking at the rcbs and Lyman kits actually so interesting to hear you have replaced most of yours I was also looking at the charge master scale and dispenser but was wondering if it was wirth it as I won't be reloading a huge amount
    Atb Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    Jim, there are some decent deals available on full reloading kits, spud does
    one for example.
    When i started I just bought the items that I actually needed just to
    get started (and made some really accurate rounds with just the basics)
    Everyones different but I would recommend buying only what you
    need then buying more advanced and quality kit as you feel ready
    for it.
    Thanks cadex I think I will just get what I need for now as I won't be doing much to start , thanks ,
    ​atb Jim

If not loading a huge amount why bother with the dispenser, I weigh each charge use scoop which is just a little less than what I want on to the scales and use trickler to bring to exact weight, if that makes sense , takes a little longer maybe but not that much, plenty people just use a scoop,but I like to weigh that way I know each round is exactly the same as the one before.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    If not loading a huge amount why bother with the dispenser, I weigh each charge use scoop which is just a little less than what I want on to the scales and use trickler to bring to exact weight, if that makes sense , takes a little longer maybe but not that much, plenty people just use a scoop,but I like to weigh that way I know each round is exactly the same as the one before.
    +1 on that.

I started last year on a shoestring budget, mainly because I didn't want to spend loads on something I may not like that much. I bought pretty much Lee everything as its cheap, I got the lee hand press (<40) and the lee collet neck sizing die set, lee scales, lee trimmer,etc etc. I have been able to load extremely accurate ammo with this setup. Now I have caught the reloading bug and bought the .20 Vartarg I have bought a Lyman crusher 2 press as I need to resize brass and figured I'd need more power than the hand press would deliver. This has made life a little easier but is not essential. I can see me buying a digital scale at some point and probably a few other bits and bobs but you certainly don't need to go out and spend a fortune to get started, also if you buy a kit you may end up replacing most of it anyway so start cheap and add the bits you need rather than what you think you need..

Edit: reloading isn't cheaper! because if you get the bug you will spend loads of time testing different loads and trying different things to get that sweet spot, so even though you may be down to 30-50p per shot you will be shooting 3 times as many if not more! Buy hey, shooting is fun, and the practice will only make you a better shot.
    Last edited by Tom D; 22-09-2013 at 10:49.

Jim where abouts are you in yorkshire, you are welcome to pop to mine and have a go on my set up and see whats involved if you like. if you are close enough you could use my gear til you build up what you need, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Jim the best port of call will be spud on here he will put you right.