Thread: Hello from Cumbria

Hello from Cumbria

Hi everyone, i'm hoping to take up deer stalking in 2014, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

1st question if anyones reading.

i currently hold a shotgun certificate, if i wish to take up deer stalking should i first sit the DSC1 then look for land and then apply for FAC or apply for FAC first??

Thanks

​Neil

Quote Originally Posted by nwalker View Post
    Hi everyone, i'm hoping to take up deer stalking in 2014, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

1st question if anyones reading.

i currently hold a shotgun certificate, if i wish to take up deer stalking should i first sit the DSC1 then look for land and then apply for FAC or apply for FAC first??

Thanks

​Neil
    Hello Neil,

I'm relatively new to this game as well. I did my DSC1 prior to applying for my FAC. My thinking was that the DSC1 qualification demonstrated that I had taken the time and effort to learn the basics of stalking. I used the DSC1 certificate to support my FAC application since the shooting test demonstrates that you have a degree of proficiency with a rifle, in terms of safety and handling. As you will no doubt read on the SD, people are divided on the efficacy of the DSC1.

Personally, I really enjoyed my DSC1 course. It gave me a foundation to build on. I now hope to progress and gain more practical experience. You can arrange stalks with the use of estate rifles which would at least allow you to try some different rifle calibres too.

No matter what you decide, good luck.

​Scott
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 22-09-2013 at 16:31.

Hi and welcome to SD hope you get a lot of info from her I did, I already had a FAC for a .22 before I got a .243 so I was lucky so I did my DSC1 after stalking but it worked for me, what ever you route you take just take it slowly and ask lots of questions you'll get plenty of help on here bazil

Hi everyone, i'm hoping to take up deer stalking in 2014, so any information would be greatly appreciated. 1st question if anyones reading. i currently hold a shotgun certificate, if i wish to take up deer stalking should i first sit the DSC1 then look for land and then apply for FAC or apply for FAC first?? Thanks ​Neil
    Hi and welcome Neil to the stalking directory, where abouts are you in Cumbria I no several stalkers who cand help you out, with red, roe and fallow etc...
    land is Cumbria is like hens teeth findings, but who's to say not gain able. Get a few stalks and deer under your belt first by all means even try a park stak as this adds it's own experience. In this you an require and ask the stale to provide a letter of compliance.

Feel free to ask any questions. I'm based south Cumbria/Lancashire.

Weeman

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    Hi and welcome Neil to the stalking directory, where abouts are you in Cumbria I no several stalkers who cand help you out, with red, roe and fallow etc...
    land is Cumbria is like hens teeth findings, but who's to say not gain able. Get a few stalks and deer under your belt first by all means even try a park stak as this adds it's own experience. In this you an require and ask the stale to provide a letter of compliance.

Feel free to ask any questions. I'm based south Cumbria/Lancashire.

Weeman
    Im based in west cumbria, but have no problem travelling. Most people who i ask seem to have had FAC for years and dont seem to know how to advise someone new to the sport, is there a minimum amount of acres you need on your application? if you want to stalk in different areas of the counrty do you need to have your fac updated for every visit?

​thanks

Im based in west cumbria, but have no problem travelling. Most people who i ask seem to have had FAC for years and dont seem to know how to advise someone new to the sport, is there a minimum amount of acres you need on your application? if you want to stalk in different areas of the counrty do you need to have your fac updated for every visit?

​thanks
    Best thing is to get a few stalks first under your belt that way they should and will be able to provide you withletters outlining your stalks and compitance using a high calibre and respect towards deer, health and safety ans the land surrounding. Not so much an amount of acres but certain condition apply on your fire arms certificate. No conditions as such to stalk but some do like to name certain stalkers on who you may stalk with as any one can stalk with anytom dickor Harry. Stalking with stalkers under the same area can help and speed up the process. I no a stalker in Kendal access to red, roe and fallow who will provide letter and is able to do your dsc2 when time coms around.

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

thanks for the information, much appreciated