Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fracture healing in deer

Fracture healing in deer

Roe front leg with deviation of digits. Note the gutter between metacarpals 3 and 4.This is one of the distinguishing features of deer classification.

Roe hind leg. Tibia ( bone between stifle and hock )

Different view

Fallow Radius and ulna ( elbow to knee )

Front view

Rear view

Same animal opposite front leg. The bottom half of the metacarpal had turned out almost 90 degrees

Splayed digits

Different views

Cleys Showing abnormal wear

Thanks to JC,DB, and JT for the legs for my original dissection and subsequent fun in glueing them together after boiling.

Fantastic photos, a great illustration of just how hardy these
    animals are.

Great photos you have to admire how resilient these creatures are!

Thanks for posting, very educational!

Brilliant photos Norman!

Here's the hind leg of a roe buck, not so beautifully presented as your photos I'm afraid but might be interesting nonetheless...

Ive shot 3 roe bucks this year with healed broken legs, amazing how resilient they are.
    Some of the ground I shoot the fences are a double barbed wire top which I'm convinced causes the issue. Why oh why they need barbed wire on semi-arable land I dont know.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Thanks for post Morena, very interesting.
    Limulus - I have same here on my ground in Lancashire, from a population of around 30 roe we have at least 3 animals hung up in fences and/or with broken legs every year, fences mainly sheep netting with single strand of barbed wire - it's enough for them to get twisted in to though. It's heart-breaking to find them hung up in the fence, must be the slowest death.

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Ive shot 3 roe bucks this year with healed broken legs, amazing how resilient they are.
    Some of the ground I shoot the fences are a double barbed wire top which I'm convinced causes the issue. Why oh why they need barbed wire on semi-arable land I dont know.