Fracture healing in deer

morena

Roe front leg with deviation of digits. Note the gutter between metacarpals 3 and 4.This is one of the distinguishing features of deer classification.

Roe hind leg. Tibia ( bone between stifle and hock )

Different view

Fallow Radius and ulna ( elbow to knee )

Front view

Rear view

Same animal opposite front leg. The bottom half of the metacarpal had turned out almost 90 degrees

Splayed digits

Different views

Cleys Showing abnormal wear

Thanks to JC,DB, and JT for the legs for my original dissection and subsequent fun in glueing them together after boiling.

Brilliant photos Norman!

Here's the hind leg of a roe buck, not so beautifully presented as your photos I'm afraid but might be interesting nonetheless...

Roe_Buck_fused_fracture.jpg

Ive shot 3 roe bucks this year with healed broken legs, amazing how resilient they are.
Some of the ground I shoot the fences are a double barbed wire top which I'm convinced causes the issue. Why oh why they need barbed wire on semi-arable land I dont know.

Thanks for post Morena, very interesting.
Limulus - I have same here on my ground in Lancashire, from a population of around 30 roe we have at least 3 animals hung up in fences and/or with broken legs every year, fences mainly sheep netting with single strand of barbed wire - it's enough for them to get twisted in to though. It's heart-breaking to find them hung up in the fence, must be the slowest death.

Ive shot 3 roe bucks this year with healed broken legs, amazing how resilient they are.
Some of the ground I shoot the fences are a double barbed wire top which I'm convinced causes the issue. Why oh why they need barbed wire on semi-arable land I dont know.

Great pictures by all its unbelievable how tough these animals are. Those that have had broken bones like myself know how painful it is. As a species we have a very low pain threshold to other animals.

Here is a Roe pelvis that I believe had a bad trauma at a young age and then healed itself,the Buck was shot this year by me and showed absolutely no side effects...........

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

Great pictures by all its unbelievable how tough these animals are. Those that have had broken bones like myself know how painful it is. As a species we have a very low pain threshold to other animals.

Funny you should say that as I have broken a few bones in my time and I have never really found it very painful, whereas I find torn muscles/ligaments/tendons are absolute AGONY!

How do you suspect most of those injuries have been caused? I'd suspect most of them are due to vehicle impacts. I've certainly seen muntjac hit by cars at 30mph jump up and run off.

​Fascinating pictures! Thanks guys.

Back