Thread: Cheers Pete

Cheers Pete

I would just like to say thanks again to Pete(Roedinator) who was kind enough to allow me the chance to stalk his ground in the chance of getting myself a Buck towards the start of the season. As usual I wanted for nothing and was spoiled with hospitality that I really don't think can be beaten, its at this point I should also give a massive thanks to Mrs Roedinator who would prepare my meals, so thanks Kimbo. During the days I would help Pete get the pheasant pens ready and make sure that everything was ready and fully functioning and in the evening I would be allowed to have free reign over the stalking (this always makes me smile as I believe it shows about as much trust as friends can have and is testament to the good guy Pete is). For me, its all about the time spent out in the country and seeing nature and if you manage to get anything its an added bonus, I'm not the kind of person to get pissy if I cant connect or even see deer for that matter, I genuinely just enjoy being out. Having spent a fair amount of time stalking with Pete, I would say its fair to say I know his ground almost as well as the back of my hand, well, enough to concoct some sort of plan for where I would like to go and which direction to come in from, where isn't safe to shoot etc. As with anything I had my favourite spots that I liked to visit and stalk around in the hope of coming across something. I would get dropped off with my faithful companion whilst there, Elle, and work my way through the wood towards a high seat in the hope of catching a glimpse of a certain deer that I had spotted in the area, even though I had been told that I could choose anything I wanted, I wouldn't shoot this particular animal as I thought it was only fair to be left for Pete or Jake and I'm not one to take the piss. I had my route planned and I set off along the outer edge of the wood hoping to catch something over the brow of the hill, it was not to be. I carried on around all the places I knew to be likely deer spots, sometimes just sitting amongst the hedgerows just to take it all in and relax with the dog, I wasn't even seeing does and im pretty sure it wasn't just the aftershave, it was just quiet. Carrying on I thought I would try another place but as I was getting closer I could hear workmen so I turned about face and set off to be picked up for some dinner (my favourite bit). Unfortunately this is how it went for a couple of days, sometimes catching the odd glimpse of a white arse bounding through the woods because I hadn't been paying enough attention or seeing a couple of does but the bucks continued to be elusive. On my last day I thought sod it, I tried my favourite route again, once more with Elle to keep me company, from time to time she would go rigid to try and tell me that deer were about but I just couldn't find them, once more I got to a point and heard workmen so binned it off, I thought it was lovely day so ill go sit in one of the highseats and just enjoy a couple of hours watching over a bowl in the wood. I snuck down to the highseat as quietly as I ever had done but with the breeze swirling around me I wasn't hopeful. I positioned Elle under the seat while I went and got comfortable, me being me made loads of noise getting into the seat and bumped a couple of does who high tailed it out of there. I got the rifle ready and put the safety on, thinking to myself its such a lovely spot ill take a few pics to send to a mate who was stuck at work. After maybe no more than 10 mins a doe appeared maybe 30 foot from the highseat and it was so nice to just watch her go about her business without a care in the world, it wasn't too long after that, that I saw him......a Buck!!! right here we go... just under 100 yards away I could see he was a nice Buck without the binos but I still had a good look at him through the swaros, he was completely relaxed and just ambling along. As soon as he stopped I placed the crosshairs, took a breath, released the safety and squeezed.....150 grain SST v Roe, there was only going to be one outcome. After 30 yards he was down, I kept him covered through the scope for a few minutes just to make sure he wasn't going anywhere then made safe, got out the highseat and sent Elle off to find him, which she did.......like an exocet. One gralloch later which i do feel kack handed doing when they aren't suspended and we were off.......I didn't realise at the time it was a possible medal head until Pete said it was a good one, I just thought it was a decent 6 pointer. Ever since then I've been waiting to hear back from Gary Tatton who has cleaned, measured and mounted it for me.......waiting until today. I received the call at 09:20 this morning to confirm it has gone bronze at 110 points. Once I get it in a week or two I will add a picture but for now there are these. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0735.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	32686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	32687 Really cant say thanks enough. Its a memory I will always have and it will only have been possible because of a good friend. I'm sorry the writeup isn't up to much but ive slept and drunk since then so things are hazy other than seeing this chap.

Ziggy
    really enjoyed your write up the pics are very good even Ellie looks pleased
    you earnt your stalk your buck and gained my trust to put you in that position
    glad he made a medal for you mate
    look forward to the next time and will see if top guide mr jab will take you out
    although I can confirm he's pretty bloody unreliable of late
    ​ regards pete

haha thanks buddy, I've just fired a text off his way.......knowing my luck it will miss though

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    haha thanks buddy, I've just fired a text off his way.......knowing my luck it will miss though

Good write up mate and blimey where has that buck been hiding, never saw anything like that when I used to wander those woods.
    Yes been a bit unreliable recently what with one thing and and another and then today got the good news that my van has to go to the breakers (not worth repairing)so got to go and find a replacement tomorrow.
    So when your down zig let us know and we will see if I can retrain you so that you can creep around these Somerset woods, and see bugger all just like I do

Nice read that. Well done on that buck, real nice one
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Thank you very much guys. Haha yeah you tell him jab, I always thought I made too much noise but I always seem to see more when on my own ;-)

Well done and Waidmannsheil for a really nice head!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Well done buddy, and again, well done Pete, another show of your generosity.
    If anybody else gets a chance to stalk with Pete, jump on it. I took my first deer with Pete and the whole experience was fantastic, from the chat and meet at his place, to the stalk, to the scrummy food so excellently cooked by Mrs Roedenator. A true gent.

Regards
    ​Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    Well done buddy, and again, well done Pete, another show of your generosity.
    If anybody else gets a chance to stalk with Pete, jump on it. I took my first deer with Pete and the whole experience was fantastic, from the chat and meet at his place, to the stalk, to the scrummy food so excellently cooked by Mrs Roedenator. A true gent.

Regards
    ​Pete
    pete thanks for the glowing reference I just like to do things right if I can
    That buck was taken from the same high seat as you were in
    ​ Regards pete