Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalking trousers?

Stalking trousers?

Looking to buy a new set of trousers for stalking main points have to be:
    1. Water proof preferably Gore tex.
    2. Comfortable
    3. Hardy
    4. Breathable
    5. Warm without sweating my ******** off!
    6. Be affordable!
    If any one has any recommendations I would love to hear them. I was looking at the swede team stuff but have no idea what there covertex is like at keeping water out. I currently have a set of Deer hunter Ram trousers that are ancient and stopped being water proof a long time ago.

add...silent....! Just got a pair of deerhunter bib and braces, but they aren't as quiet as I'd hoped. Maybe they'll wear down to a bit more quiet.

If you find any that tick all those boxes, please do tell, the rest of the forum would love to hear about it!
    Truly waterproof rarely equals breathable, truly waterproof also rarely equals silent. Something warm that you won't get too hot in.......dream on. Oh, and affordable......yeah right!
    Seriously there is no one solution, if I were you I would get something comfy and light weight for summer use, add long johns or similar base layer for winter warmth, and if its peeing it down, get some army surplus goretex over trousers. Layering really is the way forward where functional clothing is required, it means you can be adaptable to the weather as you find it.
    What I have suggested there could probably be bought for well under 100, my pro-hunter trousers are over double that, and are too hot in summer and not dry enough in winter.
    One garment I will endorse is a swazi gear, I bought a tahr a few months ago, and when funds will allow I will be buying the trousers to go with it as it is brilliant stuff, but not cheap!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I like a harkila. Pro hunter or just a pair of hiking trousers from their range.

Fjallraven barents for warm weather, pretty waterproof if you can be bothered to keep putting in the greenland wax, prohunter active for wet weather, vents on the back are easy to open when it's hot. I have had my other standard prohunters for 4 years now and they have been great although they are hot. I use my gear every day and everything else i have tried has broken, including harkila hikers-i tried a few pairs but only got a few months out of them, the trousers i've mentioned might not be cheap but you won't have to buy them so often so work out ok in the long run and you have quality gear instead of using something second rate and constantly replacing it.

So far, Laksen Muflon are about the best combo I've had of weatherproof, breathable and silence.
    I only really wear them on the hill in winter so sub 5 degrees. Otherwise they are warmish.

As a side note, all these breathable fabrics need to washed often. The pores get clogged with your sweaty oily detritus and they get less effective at breathing.

Ok not waterproof but dry very quickly, totally silent, great storage side pockets, cheap, tough as nails soldier 95 trouser, DPM may not be fashionable but get the new MTP pattern and in my experience they are the best out there..

My deer hunter ram trouser ticked most of those boxes actually but not for very long, and I know the age old adage that nothing truly water proof can be truly breathable but I am just looking for suggestions and the points are for a perfect world I obviously know that it has to be a compromise on all points.

Quote Originally Posted by Benc View Post
    Fjallraven barents for warm weather, pretty waterproof if you can be bothered to keep putting in the greenland wax, prohunter active for wet weather, vents on the back are easy to open when it's hot. I have had my other standard prohunters for 4 years now and they have been great although they are hot. I use my gear every day and everything else i have tried has broken, including harkila hikers-i tried a few pairs but only got a few months out of them, the trousers i've mentioned might not be cheap but you won't have to buy them so often so work out ok in the long run and you have quality gear instead of using something second rate and constantly replacing it.
    since when did you buy anything ?
    ​regards pete

Quote Originally Posted by Roedinator View Post
    since when did you buy anything ?
    ​regards pete
    Bloody hell and after i avoided the tempation of reccomending you yesterday when someone was looking for a mincer!

​can't all be pros with good bosses mate.