Stalking trousers?

The mighty buck

Looking to buy a new set of trousers for stalking main points have to be:
1. Water proof preferably Gore tex.
2. Comfortable
3. Hardy
4. Breathable
5. Warm without sweating my ******** off!
6. Be affordable!
If any one has any recommendations I would love to hear them. I was looking at the swede team stuff but have no idea what there covertex is like at keeping water out. I currently have a set of Deer hunter Ram trousers that are ancient and stopped being water proof a long time ago.

add...silent....! Just got a pair of deerhunter bib and braces, but they aren't as quiet as I'd hoped. Maybe they'll wear down to a bit more quiet.

If you find any that tick all those boxes, please do tell, the rest of the forum would love to hear about it!
Truly waterproof rarely equals breathable, truly waterproof also rarely equals silent. Something warm that you won't get too hot in.......dream on. Oh, and affordable......yeah right!
Seriously there is no one solution, if I were you I would get something comfy and light weight for summer use, add long johns or similar base layer for winter warmth, and if its peeing it down, get some army surplus goretex over trousers. Layering really is the way forward where functional clothing is required, it means you can be adaptable to the weather as you find it.
What I have suggested there could probably be bought for well under £100, my pro-hunter trousers are over double that, and are too hot in summer and not dry enough in winter.
One garment I will endorse is a swazi gear, I bought a tahr a few months ago, and when funds will allow I will be buying the trousers to go with it as it is brilliant stuff, but not cheap!

Fjallraven barents for warm weather, pretty waterproof if you can be bothered to keep putting in the greenland wax, prohunter active for wet weather, vents on the back are easy to open when it's hot. I have had my other standard prohunters for 4 years now and they have been great although they are hot. I use my gear every day and everything else i have tried has broken, including harkila hikers-i tried a few pairs but only got a few months out of them, the trousers i've mentioned might not be cheap but you won't have to buy them so often so work out ok in the long run and you have quality gear instead of using something second rate and constantly replacing it.

So far, Laksen Muflon are about the best combo I've had of weatherproof, breathable and silence.
I only really wear them on the hill in winter so sub 5 degrees. Otherwise they are warmish.

As a side note, all these breathable fabrics need to washed often. The pores get clogged with your sweaty oily detritus and they get less effective at breathing.

Ok not waterproof but dry very quickly, totally silent, great storage side pockets, cheap, tough as nails soldier 95 trouser, DPM may not be fashionable but get the new MTP pattern and in my experience they are the best out there..:D

My deer hunter ram trouser ticked most of those boxes actually but not for very long, and I know the age old adage that nothing truly water proof can be truly breathable but I am just looking for suggestions and the points are for a perfect world I obviously know that it has to be a compromise on all points.

Fjallraven barents for warm weather, pretty waterproof if you can be bothered to keep putting in the greenland wax, prohunter active for wet weather, vents on the back are easy to open when it's hot. I have had my other standard prohunters for 4 years now and they have been great although they are hot. I use my gear every day and everything else i have tried has broken, including harkila hikers-i tried a few pairs but only got a few months out of them, the trousers i've mentioned might not be cheap but you won't have to buy them so often so work out ok in the long run and you have quality gear instead of using something second rate and constantly replacing it.

since when did you buy anything ?
​regards pete

Bloody hell and after i avoided the tempation of reccomending you yesterday when someone was looking for a mincer!

​can't all be pros with good bosses mate. :D

As far as your boss goes I can't argue there he's up there with the best :tiphat:

about being a pro then I was always taught self praise was no praise at all :-|

and lastly if its a mincer your looking for cant help you there talk to Geordie :eek:

​regards pete

I hope the lining on the Harkila trousers is not the same as the lining on my harkila goretex lined breeks!
like a feckin tesco bag!!
polyester has no place anywhere near skin!!

Do you find the Pro hunters comfortable when climbing steep hills? I live in Scotland and most of the stalking I do requires climbing steep hills and I know a lot of these sorts of trousers can be quite restrictive I bought the ridgeline ones and wouldn't want to do a full day on the hill with them!

I'm not sure how much abuse you intend to give them and how they'd stand up to stalking but for serious hill walking you can't beat Paramo. The only problem with the jackets is that the stock slips when you put it in the shoulder.

Does any one know much about the Swedteam stuff? Some of it looks pretty decent and with the 6 year garuntee I reckon it makes economical sense.

Try Rohan Dry Explorers Waterproof, breathable and highly technical, our Dry Explorers are perfect for four-season trekking 105 pounds
I wait for the sale, and have a green pair

ATB

Looking to buy a new set of trousers for stalking main points have to be:
1. Water proof preferably Gore tex.
2. Comfortable
3. Hardy
4. Breathable
5. Warm without sweating my ******** off!
6. Be affordable!
If any one has any recommendations I would love to hear them. I was looking at the swede team stuff but have no idea what there covertex is like at keeping water out. I currently have a set of Deer hunter Ram trousers that are ancient and stopped being water proof a long time ago.

Hello The Mighty Buck.

The most important thing to remember is base layers! Whatever you wear, wear something that will wick away sweat. Now the second most important thing;

Call Paul from Scott Country and ask about the Pin Tail trousers; I have included the details here from his sight but having worn ridgeline kit "CORRECTLY" before, then I can certainly vouch for them;

The new Ridgeline Pintail Pant is a unique garment which has been developed to solve the problem many of us have in obtaining the right leg length depending on the footwear choice, i.e wellingtons, stalking boots etc.

100% waterproof, windproof and breathable the Pintail Pant has a button waist and zip fly with belt loops.

Made with a unique adjustable system that allows the user to alter the leg length internally, the new Pintail Pant is ideal for outdoor use in varying situations.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With easily accessible cargo pockets for essentials, and waterproof zips on hip pockets, these trousers are ideal for hunting, stalking or working outdoors.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I will be doing a review of these trousers shortly, but they have a link on their site that gives you a good video review of them.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I must also place the emphasis on the the correct dress for "extreme and Active" wear. Base layers and how you build them are essential to the success of your comfort. Anyone complaining that they were sweating like being in a bin bag will have NOT dressed correctly. Wearing a nice cotton shirt and jumper underneath is not the way to go about it. Exposures best friend is cotton.

Anyways, I hope you will give yourself 10 minutes to have a look.

I also have the Harkila Pro Hunter and its is extremely good, but very heavy with it, the ridgeline gear is designed for weight, exposure and comfort, all of which you will appreciate as you drag that carcass back home!!

I hope this has helped.

​Colin
[/FONT]

Do you find the Pro hunters comfortable when climbing steep hills? I live in Scotland and most of the stalking I do requires climbing steep hills and I know a lot of these sorts of trousers can be quite restrictive I bought the ridgeline ones and wouldn't want to do a full day on the hill with them!
No i don't find them great on the hill in the warm but the prohunter active are a lot less restrictive, up this weekend so will let you know. Been working in them in the recent warm weather no problem at all.

I have the monsoon II smock and trousers I love the smock and Its great for the lower ground and I practically live in it for January through to the end of February but on the hill I sweat in it but from your reckoning I am wearing the wrong thing I wear a cotton shirt and a thin woollen jumper, this year before I go to the hinds I will equipe myself with the correct base layers and fingers crossed I will be much less sweaty! But the trouser that go with it which I think are the roar? I can't stand I don't think they have much movement to them and I can't seem to get comfortable in them so they are up for sale! I don't know weather just to buy another set of £100 pound Deertex ons from deer hunter or covertex Swedteam ones or break the piggy bank open and treat myself to a set of £230-£280 proper goretex harkila or Swedteam, but going to bushwear this weekend to have a good look.

Back