Safety concern: Unique Alpine TPG1, Safety catch operation or trigger adjustment?

AI perfector

Safety concern: Unique Alpine TPG1 safety catch operation can allow discharge of weapon on moving safety catch to Fire position after trigger pull with safety catch in Safe position. Design fault (surely not) or trigger adjustment required?

The sequence is set out below but you may also wish to watch this:

Apply Safety at rear of bolt by lowering toggle lever
Chamber a round.
Aim at bullet catcher
Pull trigger :D– firing pin, being restrained by Safety toggle lever, moves forward only by a thou' or two before being held/caught by transverse S/S pin within the bolt and does not impact on primer to cause detonation:(

Hmmm.:confused:

Aim at bullet catcher
Raise Safety lever – firing pin releases and gun fires!!:eek:

In the meantime, it's been suggested that trigger mechanism cleanliness and/or settings needs discounting.

Any observations you may have would be well received.

Attachments

• IMG_0291[1].jpg
    IMG_0291[1].jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0299[1].jpg
    IMG_0299[1].jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I don't like that at all! I hope you manage to get hold of the importers or Unique Alpine very soon, as that is unacceptable for any firearm.

May I ask how long you've had it, and roughly how much it has been used?

I don't like that at all! I hope you manage to get hold of the importers or Unique Alpine very soon, as that is unacceptable for any firearm.

May I ask how long you've had it, and roughly how much it has been used?

A year or so but little used as I've been away. No, not at her majesty's pleasure. I've only put little over 200 rounds through it. Aside from this issue it is a lovely and comfortable rifle to shoot.

Surely it can't have been designed to work that way :confused:

I would have expected the safety would also block the trigger/sear so that you shouldn't have been able to release the trigger in the first place.

If there is such a mechanism then its not working properly.

Does the rifle have a 2-stage trigger ? If so perhaps the first stage has been adjusted away or the sear engagement set too fine. This might interfere with a trigger-blocking safety mechanism.

Surely it can't have been designed to work that way :confused:

I would have expected the safety would also block the trigger/sear so that you shouldn't have been able to release the trigger in the first place.

If there is such a mechanism then its not working properly.

Does the rifle have a 2-stage trigger ? If so perhaps the first stage has been adjusted away or the sear engagement set too fine. This might interfere with a trigger-blocking safety mechanism.

Single stage trigger, at least that is all I can sense.

Single stage trigger, at least that is all I can sense.

You've intrigued me, so I read the manual :D

http://www.unique-alpine.org/support/Manual.pdf

Page 36 states:

Safety
The safety system of the Unique Alpine ‚ model TPG 1 is a direct firing-pin safety with an additional drop lever safety.
Operating the safety system, the firing pin is drawn back, thus having no more contact with the trigger.

This doesn't seem to be happening on your rifle.

If the firing pin was being drawn back slightly when the safety was applied then it would not be possible for the trigger to release it, and the trigger would reset safely as soon as pressure was removed from it.

This would be a good design IMHO.

So I suspect something is misadjusted or worn in your safety mechanism and it is not working as-designed.

Have you tried calling U-A for details of UK contact ?

Unique Alpine

Postfach 15 55
85435 Erding

Tel.: 0700 / 222 55 474
Fax: 08122 / 97 97 23

info@unique-alpine.com

Further: Page 42 of the manual explains how to unscrew the safety from the end of the bolt. Could it be that it is screwed in too deeply, or maybe a shim is missing that would fix it in the correct position. Disassembling the bolt • Apply safety by pushing the safety lever downwards (An unwanted cocking of the lock is prevented). • Unscrew safety out of the bolt by turning it anticlockwise and remove towards the rear. Further disassembly can only be carried out by professional staff. Also some alternative contact details:
  • Unique Alpine AG Directions Be the first to review

• Address: Rennweg 27, 85435 Erding, Germany

• Phone:+49 8122 9797300

Last edited:
Thanks, all, for your comments. We seem to have made some good progress with good info' coming forward. I'll have a close look at the manuals, photos etc., in the next day or two and try again to contact UA by ' phone. Thanks, all

Update 8Oct13: Progress with UA per today's E-Mail from them as follows:

Concerning your Problem:

This can be the Issue when:

1. Sear overlap is to small :

Because of a: Adjustment of Sear
b: Trigger Stop wrongly adjusted
c: Trigger weight to light adjusted

2. residue (eventually old oil) stopping Sear to travel.

We do have an revisions service, in case you would like to service your rifle which is free of charge, the owner only has to ship the rifle (or Parts of it) to us.

In your Case this would be the Rear Stock and the Receiver, no barrel no bolt.

Once received we would service the rifle and return it to you.

Further we also do have a new military Trigger Pack, (two Stage), which could be fitted (Some small work on the Chassis is required).
This trigger pack got an extended temperature range (-60 to +60° C) and is dirt protected. We do offer an upgrade (in exchange ) for 150 Euro instead of 280 Euro (Part Price). But, you have to know that military trigger packs have an min. weight of 2,5 Pound, however it is a very crisp trigger with an excellent trigger characteristic.

According our Email System, I have to regret but our email system got hacked 2 Times the last 12 month, so safest to reach us would be by FAX (+498122 9797230) if you do not get an answer in time.

Thank you for your patients!

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Stefan Holme

Unique Alpine AG
Rennweg 27
85435 Erding
Germany

Tel. +49 8122 9797 360
Fax. +49 8122 9797 230

sth@unique-alpine.com

This is an old thread but still relevant I think. My TPG1 had the same issue with the safety not being safe. I tried all the adjustments in the world to no avail so I striped the bolt down and found that the safety catch is actually broken. I've sent an e-mail to Alpine (I think) so we will see what comes of it. The rifle works fine without the safety BUT!!PXL_20240311_110457200.jpg
Update 8Oct13: Progress with UA per today's E-Mail from them as follows:

Concerning your Problem:

This can be the Issue when:

1. Sear overlap is to small :

Because of a: Adjustment of Sear
b: Trigger Stop wrongly adjusted
c: Trigger weight to light adjusted

2. residue (eventually old oil) stopping Sear to travel.

We do have an revisions service, in case you would like to service your rifle which is free of charge, the owner only has to ship the rifle (or Parts of it) to us.

In your Case this would be the Rear Stock and the Receiver, no barrel no bolt.

Once received we would service the rifle and return it to you.

Further we also do have a new military Trigger Pack, (two Stage), which could be fitted (Some small work on the Chassis is required).
This trigger pack got an extended temperature range (-60 to +60° C) and is dirt protected. We do offer an upgrade (in exchange ) for 150 Euro instead of 280 Euro (Part Price). But, you have to know that military trigger packs have an min. weight of 2,5 Pound, however it is a very crisp trigger with an excellent trigger characteristic.

According our Email System, I have to regret but our email system got hacked 2 Times the last 12 month, so safest to reach us would be by FAX (+498122 9797230) if you do not get an answer in time.

Thank you for your patients!

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Stefan Holme

Unique Alpine AG
Rennweg 27
85435 Erding
Germany

Tel. +49 8122 9797 360
Fax. +49 8122 9797 230

sth@unique-alpine.com

Back