Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety concern: Unique Alpine TPG1, Safety catch operation or trigger adjustment?

Unhappy Safety concern: Unique Alpine TPG1, Safety catch operation or trigger adjustment?

Safety concern: Unique Alpine TPG1 safety catch operation can allow discharge of weapon on moving safety catch to Fire position after trigger pull with safety catch in Safe position. Design fault (surely not) or trigger adjustment required?

The sequence is set out below but you may also wish to watch this:

Apply Safety at rear of bolt by lowering toggle lever
    Chamber a round.
    Aim at bullet catcher
    Pull trigger – firing pin, being restrained by Safety toggle lever, moves forward only by a thou' or two before being held/caught by transverse S/S pin within the bolt and does not impact on primer to cause detonation

Hmmm.

Aim at bullet catcher
    Raise Safety lever – firing pin releases and gun fires!!

In the meantime, it's been suggested that trigger mechanism cleanliness and/or settings needs discounting.

Any observations you may have would be well received.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0299[1].jpg   IMG_0291[1].jpg  
    Last edited by AI perfector; 23-09-2013 at 15:36.

I don't like that at all! I hope you manage to get hold of the importers or Unique Alpine very soon, as that is unacceptable for any firearm.

May I ask how long you've had it, and roughly how much it has been used?

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan_Terrier View Post
    I don't like that at all! I hope you manage to get hold of the importers or Unique Alpine very soon, as that is unacceptable for any firearm.

May I ask how long you've had it, and roughly how much it has been used?
    A year or so but little used as I've been away. No, not at her majesty's pleasure. I've only put little over 200 rounds through it. Aside from this issue it is a lovely and comfortable rifle to shoot.

Surely it can't have been designed to work that way

I would have expected the safety would also block the trigger/sear so that you shouldn't have been able to release the trigger in the first place.

If there is such a mechanism then its not working properly.

Does the rifle have a 2-stage trigger ? If so perhaps the first stage has been adjusted away or the sear engagement set too fine. This might interfere with a trigger-blocking safety mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Surely it can't have been designed to work that way

I would have expected the safety would also block the trigger/sear so that you shouldn't have been able to release the trigger in the first place.

If there is such a mechanism then its not working properly.

Does the rifle have a 2-stage trigger ? If so perhaps the first stage has been adjusted away or the sear engagement set too fine. This might interfere with a trigger-blocking safety mechanism.
    Single stage trigger, at least that is all I can sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AI perfector View Post
    Single stage trigger, at least that is all I can sense.

You've intrigued me, so I read the manual

http://www.unique-alpine.org/support/Manual.pdf

Page 36 states:

Safety
    The safety system of the Unique Alpine ‚ model TPG 1 is a direct firing-pin safety with an additional drop lever safety.
    Operating the safety system, the firing pin is drawn back, thus having no more contact with the trigger.

This doesn't seem to be happening on your rifle.

If the firing pin was being drawn back slightly when the safety was applied then it would not be possible for the trigger to release it, and the trigger would reset safely as soon as pressure was removed from it.

This would be a good design IMHO.

So I suspect something is misadjusted or worn in your safety mechanism and it is not working as-designed.

Have you tried calling U-A for details of UK contact ?

Unique Alpine

Postfach 15 55
    85435 Erding

Tel.: 0700 / 222 55 474
    Fax: 08122 / 97 97 23

info@unique-alpine.com

Further: Page 42 of the manual explains how to unscrew the safety from the end of the bolt. Could it be that it is screwed in too deeply, or maybe a shim is missing that would fix it in the correct position. Disassembling the bolt Apply safety by pushing the safety lever downwards (An unwanted cocking of the lock is prevented). Unscrew safety out of the bolt by turning it anticlockwise and remove towards the rear. Further disassembly can only be carried out by professional staff. Also some alternative contact details:
    • Unique Alpine AG Directions Be the first to review

• Address: Rennweg 27, 85435 Erding, Germany

• Phone:+49 8122 9797300

Last edited by Sharpie; 23-09-2013 at 17:24.

Thanks, all, for your comments. We seem to have made some good progress with good info' coming forward. I'll have a close look at the manuals, photos etc., in the next day or two and try again to contact UA by ' phone. Thanks, all

This weapon needs to be returned to where you got it from for a full refund ASAP, I know the person concerned and he is missing this rifle very much.

Nice try, Joe