Last nights dinner guests

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
These diners never stirred even when the flash was going of from a couple of feet away.

Every night they are there for their feast of out of date cakes from the supermarket.

John

View attachment 32738I also have a few Miss Tiggy Winkels visit me now and again and I have noticed that when I shine the torch on them, they just look at you and freeze.
I have held the torch on them for a few minutes and when they realise that is all that is going to happen, they just toddle off to the nearest bush.
When I was a young lad I can always remember hedgehogs used to roll up in a ball as soon as you looked at them.
I am very lucky as I usually have a look around my 'postage stamp' sized garden just before I go to bed and usually there are toads, one rather large spotted and covered in warts and a smaller one that is just yellow and smooth, Hedgehogs, a largish one and a small 'tennis ball' size one.
The only thing I do not welcome in my garden are cats and I think they know it as they run as soon as the security light goes on.

Last edited:
Amazing jayB, must be truely rewarding watching them...
Im frequently visited by deer, feral cats and my hrns

I also have a few Miss Tiggy Winkels visit me now and again and I have noticed that when I shine the torch on them, they just look at you and freeze.
I have held the torch on them for a few minutes and when they realise that is all that is going to happen, they just toddle off to the nearest bush.
When I was a young lad I can always remember hedgehogs used to roll up in a ball as soon as you looked at them.
I am very lucky as I usually have a look around my 'postage stamp' sized garden just before I go to bed and usually there are toads, one rather large spotted and covered in warts and a smaller one that is just yellow and smooth, Hedgehogs, a largish one and a small 'tennis ball' size one.
The only thing I do not welcome in my garden are cats and I think they know it as they run as soon as the security light goes on.

There are Pine Martens and Hedgehogs there every night, they are right outside the lounge patio doors on the topmost of three steps. They never bat an eyelid they are quite used to people moving about in the house, the Martens don't even go far when my wife goes out to feed them. Sometimes when there are two hedgehogs there and they are squaring up to each other you can hear them grunting above the noise from the TV, then they start their pushing and shoving, its not unknown for one to knock the other off the steps completely!

No cats in the garden, not allowed!

No deer either, they are welcome but appear to have more sense :D.

John

nice to see havn,t seen any hedgehogs around here for a long time
perhaps to many brocks me thinks tho Im sure the antis would disagree

Lovely pics and nice to see each night.
On the noise Hedgehogs make...when i was younger,well a lot younger,i heard such a commotion and went to investigate.Because of the noise i tentatively approached some bushes expecting something rather large and was amazed to find 2 Hedgehogs going at it err rather passionately so left them in peace:love:

Another occasion was a Hedgehog caught on some barbed wire running below a fence,duly freed it but the volume they create is impressive for their size.

Thanks for sharing the pictures

Came across this little fella at the back end of the summer. Some in the family despise them for egg eating habits but this chap was the size of some eggs!

Baby Hedgehog.jpg

Came across this little fella at the back end of the summer. Some in the family despise them for egg eating habits but this chap was the size of some eggs!

View attachment 35236

Got to agree with some of your family members there.Bl**dy egg eating urchins but we too witnessed a decline as the badgers increased in numbers

Well my border is obsessed with a hedgehog that comes into my garden. He can't work out what to do with it. He tries digging under it pawing it and then just barks at it. Been a right pain last thing at night when I just want him to sort himself out before bed.

lovely to see mate, a real shame we dont see more hedgehogs here in town....we built up a nice population over the last few years which have completely disappeared now foxes have set up in neighbouring school grounds.......anyone seen a fox taking hedgehogs I wonder ??

We used to have hedgehogs regularly nosing about, drove the collies bonkers on evenings last outings ! They haven't turned up any for past year or more. Do have way more badgers, all the setts on our farm and immediate area seem to be in permanent occupancy now, even found where brocks are sleeping above ground ( a first for me).
Would love to see a pinemartin. One of my favourites.

We used to have hedgehogs regularly nosing about, drove the collies bonkers on evenings last outings ! They haven't turned up any for past year or more. Do have way more badgers, all the setts on our farm and immediate area seem to be in permanent occupancy now, even found where brocks are sleeping above ground ( a first for me).
Would love to see a pinemartin. One of my favourites.

Then get yourself up to Jay b's for a stalk or 2. I was up a month or 2 ago and saw my 1st live pinemartin. Watched him for a good 5 minutes. He climbed up into the high seat I was heading for and had spent the previous evening sitting in..

Made my weekend. oh That and the Sika hind that is now in my freezer.

Back