Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Despatching wounded animals hit by cars

Despatching wounded animals hit by cars

Recently I was in a situation where I came across a fallow which had been hit by a car and had it's back broken and would not survive and clearly was in incredible pain. I called the relevant authorities and they said it would be a few hours before a vet would be able to get there to humanely put it down, so if I felt comfortable in dispatching the beast, I could go ahead.

I had no weapons on me other than a hefty hunting knife, so my only option was to slit it's throat. It went well and the animal bled out quickly. Upon research into my method, it seems there are two schools of thought.

1) that my method was halal and the animal would have passed out within seconds and thus would have felt little pain.

2) that halal slaughter is ******** and the animal would not have passed out, thus leaving it in considerable pain. (Having said that, even those who say this agree that it was still more humane than leaving it suffering for hours until a vet (possibly) arrived to put it down.)

So, does anyone have any further thoughts on a) if halal slaughter is humane and thus the animal didnt feel too much or b) does anyone have a better way of despatching a wounded deer or other large animal (im thinking badger, boar, perhaps fox) without a firearm?

​Cheers, James

James, a knife may be used for humane dispatch but the law says care and skill must be displayed as a charge of causing unnecessary suffering could be brought by a clumsy or inexpert attempt.

Personally see no problem in using a knife but would be wary of doing so if members of the public were in attendance a bystanders idea of what is unnecessary suffering and what is fact may be entirely different.

I too have been similarly reprimanded for taking a large knife to the Atlas bone of an RTA fallow. The method of dispatch demonstrated to me by an FCS Ranger back in 1982.

Not by the Police I hasn’t to add but a Bushcraft Forum!

K

Yeah i spoke to the police before i did anything, it was them that said i should do it myself unless i felt incompetent, as their vet would take a few hours.

Glad you guys agree with me! I shall use that method in future then, unless I have a gun handy. Yeah I got everyone to disperse before I did it cause i knew there would be issues if I didnt, and afterwards the lady who had hit it came up to me and gave me a hug and thanked me for putting it out of its pain, which was nice. Although she didnt deal with it herself, at least she didnt just drive off and leave it!

The only issue was a yuppie lady who drove past in her softop mercedes and seemed somewhat disgusted at the concept that her tyres may have got blood on them!

Cheers guys

​James

Did you take the carcase away?

Im no expert but I thibk you'll find using a gun is pretty much a no-no anyway.

I guess you'd have to carry the beast 50m from the public highway, get permission on the land, check and get it cleared for your legal deer calibre - which rules out shotgun etc.

I'm being slightly facetious, as I live rurally and a couple of times each year come across deer rta's on the commute back from work - usually in the winter with early dark nights.

I think you did right, and I always carry a legal sharp knife in the car (my leatherman) for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam f View Post

I guess you'd have to carry the beast 50m from the public highway, get permission on the land, check and get it cleared for your legal deer calibre - which rules out shotgun etc.

I'm being slightly facetious, as I live rurally and a couple of times each year come across deer rta's on the commute back from work - usually in the winter with early dark nights.

I think you did right, and I always carry a legal sharp knife in the car (my leatherman) for this purpose.
    Your Leatherman has the locks deactivated on the two blades??

Aye i took the carcase, gralloched it on site, stuck it in the boot and got it home. Got a freezer full of venison, a nice tanned rug and a good set of antlers on the wall! First time i'd ever done it myself, had previously only watched it done by a keeper so was a good learning experience!

Interesting thought about using the gun, hadn't considered it! I guess it was fortunate I didn't have any guns on me at the time!

I guess you'd have to carry the beast 50m from the public highway, get permission on the land, check and get it cleared for your legal deer calibre - which rules out shotgun etc. .
    What on earth are you talking about, the gun is the best method for humane despatch be it a rifle or shotgun.
    What is all this 'carrying 50m from the highway and getting permission on the land'
    If the police are in attendance then they can give you authority to shoot on the highway.
    I think this subject has been discussed at length on another thread under the title of attending RTAs.

I guess you'd have to carry the beast 50m from the public highway
    , get permission on the land, check and get it cleared for your legal deer calibre - which rules out shotgun etc.

Why? The legal requirement distance when shooting beside a road/RoW is only if it causes a disturbance or distress to other users. When the law was introduced it was aimed at horses and horse drawn carriages.

Done this many times(I was asked to be on call by the police) and there are no problems using a firearm or even shotgun to dispatch a road casualty deer.
    My mate has recently been called to do just that on a major dual carriage way and had the traffic stopped whilst he did the deed .He has since been granted a pistol for this very purpose