Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading Press

Reloading Press

I know probably the "What Press" thing has been done to death on here over the years and if it has a Thousand Apologies BUT im going to start reloading for the .22 Hornet and 204 Ruger soon and was just wondering if the LEE CLASSIC CAST PRESS would be up to the job for both calibres ?
    I have only been looking at Single Stage presses as I wont be doing lots of rounds and want to keep things simple and straight forward, The Lee Classic keeps getting mentioned so thought I would ask before I take the plunge, Will be using Lee dies for the Hornet so probably makes sense to use a Lee Press ??
    If you have a better recommendation let me have it.
    Thanks.

Lee dies ok but do yourself a favour dont buy their presses. Look out on ebay for good secondhand presses, rcbs lyman hornady etc. Lee are probably the cheapest though.
    ​all depends what you want to spend you can try reloading solutions, or tim hannams

+1
    I have had an RCBS reloader special 5 since about 1995 and still going strong. I reload from 17 remington to 7mm rem mag with ease. I would like to look at a Forster coax but I'm not sure it's worth changing

buy good buy once have a look at redding and rcbs

I have two presses (if thats the right word) One being a progresive dillon, Which is a fantastic bit of engineering. and the other a Lee chalenger press on which I have reloaded thousands of rounds whithout a single issue.

So if money is tight dont be put off a Lee press

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    buy good buy once have a look at redding and rcbs
    Yep that's normally my motto, Heard the New RCBS presses were not as good as the old ones which has put me off a bit which is a shame as I like the look of their kit.

Nothing wrong with the Classic Cast press, I have 4 Lee presses, 2 progressives, a 4 hole cast turret and the cast Breech Lock which I use for de-priming and full length sizing a range of different calibres as well as producing 308 target loads with better than 1/2 MOA using Lee dies. If you're loading more than one calibre I've found the breech lock system very handy.

Breech Lock Classic Cast - Lee Precision
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    Nothing wrong with the Classic Cast press, I have 4 Lee presses, 2 progressives, a 4 hole cast turret and the cast Breech Lock which I use for de-priming and full length sizing a range of different calibres as well as producing 308 target loads with better than 1/2 MOA using Lee dies. If you're loading more than one calibre I've found the breech lock system very handy.

Breech Lock Classic Cast - Lee Precision
    You like Lee 'coz they're cheap (like you???) - let me know when you want to get a proper press! lol

I started with a Lee press, managed to break it full length sizing .223rem cases
    Next was an RCBS Partner, with care it was fairly good, but I really don't like the cam over at the end of the stroke.
    Then a very old Lyman Sparton which I loved, made great ammo and was very consistent, old but good and my first cast iron press.
    But last december I put a proper (but very small) loading bench together, and my son bought me a Redding Big Boss 2 press.
    I now ask myself why I ever bothered with anything less, great press, as yet never lost a primer while de-priming not something I could
    say about any of it's predecessors. I have also noticed that once set a die never needs adjusting, I use Lyman locking rings on all my dies
    and once set you just put it in the press and go, again the first press that has managed this.
    So as other have said, buy a good press first time round, that way you only cry once.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    You like Lee 'coz they're cheap (like you???) - let me know when you want to get a proper press! lol
    Well I can't afford anything better as I keep buying huge amounts of powder and primers off you
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy