Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .25-06, sako or tikka

.25-06, sako or tikka

Evening gents,

hoping for a bit of advice please. I've got a variation to buy a .25-06 to use for foxing and stalking but am not sure about which rifle make to go for.

The sako appeals as it is a damned good looking rifle and feels like a quality product, unfortunately they only do .25-06 with 22" barrels. The tikka (varmint & super varmint) come with 24" barrels but does not 'feel' as good as the sako though the 500 quid saving makes up for this!!

i was wondering if anyone had experience of either of these rifles in this caliber and could share their experience please?

Will the 2 inches make a huge difference? The mrs thinks so but that's a different story.....

​is there a huge difference in accuracy between sako and tikka in this calibre?

to give you an idea of the type of rifle I'm used to I am selling a Remington .243 that has been re barrelled by Callum Fergusson and has a McMillan stock and jewell trigger so I like em accurate and well made!

thanks for any help and advice.

I have a Sako 75 in 25-06 and accuracy is not a problem, nothing I have pulled the trigger on has complained yet....... !!

Jäger SA had a nice and cheap Tikka in classifieds recently that would be worth looking at. My 75 S/S is for sale to fund a new scope but is on hold for a keeper meantime. If he changes his mind it may go on here although I might just keep it and find the cash elsewhere!

Bob

I'm not sure on which to get. There was a Remington in .25-06 on sale on here for a while. I've gone from Ruger to Sako/Mannlicher to Remington/Remington clone so I'm not really qualified to answer your question. I like the flexibility the 'Remington' approach gives you in terms of stocks, triggers, etc. I suspect a Remington 243 that Callum has worked on will be a hard act to follow.

Good luck.

​JCS

i would go for the tikka stainless laminate it looks and feels lovely. cheaper then the sako also.
    longer barrel will give you more fps. and they say the 25/06 is better with longer barrel due to the amount of powder it burns but with today's modern fast burning powders that isn't a problem.

unless your going to use it for long range shooting as well the extra length isn't going to give you advantage for normal deer and fox ranges.
    i would much prefer to have a more compact and better balanced rifle
    Last edited by jay 22; 23-09-2013 at 20:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick9abf View Post

Jäger SA had a nice and cheap Tikka in classifieds recently that would be worth looking at. My 75 S/S is for sale to fund a new scope but is on hold for a keeper meantime. If he changes his mind it may go on here although I might just keep it and find the cash elsewhere!
    I have one in classifieds.

For Sale: Tikka T3 Lite 25-06 Stainless Synthetic

I've had a 26" custom remmy and 2 separate 22" r93's. longer does give much more velocity but I shot more with the blasers. It really depends on what you like to carry. Good killing calibre.

Thanks for your help guys, very useful.

realistically I think the longest shot I take with it will be the odd fox or crow at about 300m, won't be doing anything on the range. Web searches suck for this calibre, every single American with a rifle has a contradictory and shouty opinion on barrels for a .25-06!

I have had 2 Tikka t3's, one 22/250 and one 25/06. I had no accuracy problem with either of them for the money very good indeed. The only issue i found with my 25/06 was the retaining clip on the trigger that holds the safety lever in place fell off regular, it is a headless pin (with no grove) but they use a circlip to hold it in place!!!! Losing 2" of barrel lenght is not going to make much difference at ethical shooting distances. Again, very good rifles for the money.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was thinking regarding shooting distance. It's called stalking for a reason after all.