Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my combi gun at last!

Got my combi gun at last!

Hey guys. I picked up my long awaited BRNO combination gun today. They're a nightmare to find and seem very rare in this country, a shame really because they're very popular on the continent. Mine is a 12g top barrel and 7x57R bottom barrel. That should do for almost anything from Pigeons and Pheasant to Red Deer so I think it will be getting a bit of use.

We had some trouble in the shop. The rifle hasn't been through UK proof and we didn't recognise any of the marks. Luckily after a quick call to the proof house they confirmed that the BRNO proof marks were acceptable. Then it came to putting the gun back together. What a job that was. The action is so tight it's a struggle to get the barrels back on once they're removed. I bought the gun as old stock with no history. It looks to be unfired but has a lot of wear to the finish in places having been sat around the gun shop since 1992! The give away to its use for me is that when you open the action there are no primer rings around the firing pin holes, the fine machining lines (it is a BRNO after all!) are unmarked.

It's a right rough and ready brute! It doesn't have a great finish and as said above the action is that tight it feels like a spring air rifle to break! Hopefully a load of heavy rounds will loosen it up a bit. Here's a picture. I think it's a great toy (sorry tool) and I expect to use it a lot. It cost me 800 after RFD fees. Steep for a BRNO I thought when I first looked into getting it. That was before my RFD looked into getting me a new one from BRNO. Over 2500 so I bought this one quick!

SD Regular
    I evaluated one with a 223 barrel for Shooting Times in the 1980s. You'll find that they are extremely accurate. I know that Edgar Brothers did have a dedicated telescopic sight mount for such things at one time.

That's interesting. If I decide to scope it I may look for that. For now the gun will only be used out to 75 yards max, so irons will be good enough once I've tested myself on paper.

What do you intend to do about ammunition. Do you have a source or will you handload.

In the long term I plan to reload for it. The Dealer who I bought the gun from has 100 rounds of Norma and 250+ rounds of S&B which is reserved for me to get sent to my RFD. He wants 150 for the lot which I thought was very good, the Norma alone is worth that! Once I've fired them I'll reload the Norma cases and keep the S&B cases for spares. If I just neck size and don't hot the loads up the chances are 100 Norma cases will keep me going for a number of years.

I can't wait for the rounds to get here. The dealer said that if I didn't like the gun I could return it, so suggested that the ammo wasn't sent at the same time in case it had to go back. As it turns out I think it's the best buy I've ever had, I really like the gun and it fits me perfectly!

Welcome to the combi owners club. What model Brno is it. I will look on the local gunshop web site and see if they have mounts for it. They have several Brno's in stock.

Not being funny but you have shot very few Deer judging by your posts and now your talking about using open sights , most likley freehand too, on a small target such as a Roe.
    Sounds like a recipe for wounded Deer!

Also you mention that you are going to shoot squirrels and any Roe you see at the same time. How many Roe do you think you'll see after firing a few 12b cartridges off? My bet is none and you'd be better to go back with a rifle on a serperate outing.

Im sure the gun can be accurate but most peope would need to fire a good number of rounds through it to get used to it. Have you got ground where you can stand there and fire numerous 7x57R rounds off at all different distances?

Sako 85 wrote
    Also you mention that you are going to shoot squirrels and any Roe you see at the same time. How many Roe do you think you'll see after firing a few 12b cartridges off? My bet is none and you'd be better to go back with a rifle on a serperate outing.

Am i missing something? Where did njc1110381 say he was going Squirrel and deer shooting at the same time. Why is another rifle going to kill roe any better than a combi?

Im sure the gun can be accurate but most peope would need to fire a good number of rounds through it to get used to it. Have you got ground where you can stand there and fire numerous 7x57R rounds off at all different distances?

Surely that go's for all stalker no matter what weapon they use. As the 7x57R is hardly a long range round. Practice out to 100 mtrs should do nicely.

Am i missing something? Where did njc1110381 say he was going Squirrel and deer shooting at the same time. Why is another rifle going to kill roe any better than a combi?

I'm certainly not saying the combi 7x57R won't kill Deer worse than any other rifle. In fact I once had a 7x57 and was a superb gun for knockdown power. Njc1110381 mentions on Pigeonwatch that he is going to use it for Pheasants but if he see's or thinks there is a deer around won't fire. IMO aren't you just better going out with a normal gun suited to each species you are intending to shoot? Bit like me saying I need a combi gun in .243 for Roe and 30-06 barrel for Sika.

Surely that go's for all stalker no matter what weapon they use. As the 7x57R is hardly a long range round. Practice out to 100 mtrs should do nicely.[/quote]

Yes but how many of us use a gun that is going to be used freehand? And as my post means has he got space and kind enough landowners to allow repeated shots with no moderator at various distances so he can see how the gun shoots?

I think combination guns should be used for what they are meant for, driven Boar and Deer.

Due to the unpopularity in GB doesn't this tell you something.

Theres not many of us who dream up all scenarios and have to keep buying guns for those reasons. Bit like his .375 for Reds as I saw one run 300 yards after being shot with a 6.5x55 etc etc.

njc

Great looking combi. I have one just like it that I bought off IanF but it is in .243.

I haven't done much with it yet but funnily enough I was planning to do more with it in the coming months before you posted.

Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

JB