Thread: Roe shooting in a small wood

Roe shooting in a small wood

Evening fella's

iv'e been asked to help out a prestigious estate garden with controlling the roe that are doing a lot of damage to new plants and old well established trees and hedgerows. They have tried fencing and other deterrents but the problem is the number of deer In the small wood on the estate. The gardener tells me some mornings he's seen as many as 11 or 12. I've been observing for the last 10 days and seen 6 deer regularly in the wood. I can safely shoot from a high seat in the wood and I've consulted my local firearms officer who said its not a problem. My only concern is a nearby road that's busy. Would it be worth putting out some attractants/ salt licks in a safe area within shot of my high seat to encourage the deer away from the road. Any advice would be much appreciated.

​Cheers

if there's ANY risk of ricochets near or towards a road, or a shot deer legging it onto a road nearby before expiring, then, yes, definitely, try to move them towards a better culling position, and that might involve a 'feeding' type station..after all, this is not stalking but deer management for the better of the local ecosystem, so I would see no ethical implications in doing so.

I would also consider deer management at a time of day when there is as little traffic as possible of course, to reduce danger to the public...have you considered setting up and shooting 'away' from the road in question?

I think it takes a little while for the salt/mineral licks to start attracting deer and the landowner might think that you're trying to attract more deer to shoot!
    These situations require immediate action if you want to be in the landowners good books.
    If I were you I'd set up the highseat facing away from the road, in a safe direction with good backstop, with a good view of known deer paths/favourite plants
    From your highseat you should have plenty of time to pick your shots and make sure they are very safe. Patience is vital. If you're concerned about shot deer running toward the road I would aim slightly higher and further forward (shoulder/heart) to drop the deer sooner than lower heart shot, and not worry about meat damage.
    Also, you might want to get started on the bucks very soon as there isn't long left of the season, then make a dent in the does first week of November if poss.
    Enjoy

I have a location in mind that is near a well used deer path that faces away from the road. Think I'm probably best giving it a go from there to start with and look into a feeding area later on if the situation requires it. As you said my plan is to try thin the bucks out first. Then look at the does into November. Thanks for the re assurance chaps

If you can, you'd be better off putting the seat up away from the wood and shoot back towards it. Maybe even have the seat nearer the road? Getting into a seat inside a small wood without disturbing the animals is very dificult! Better to tackle them when they emerge out into the open where you can see them better. The wood is their safe refuge. If you take that away, they will most likely move away completely.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Samweller12 View Post
    Evening fella's

iv'e been asked to help out a prestigious estate garden with controlling the roe that are doing a lot of damage to new plants and old well established trees and hedgerows. They have tried fencing and other deterrents but the problem is the number of deer In the small wood on the estate. The gardener tells me some mornings he's seen as many as 11 or 12. I've been observing for the last 10 days and seen 6 deer regularly in the wood. I can safely shoot from a high seat in the wood and I've consulted my local firearms officer who said its not a problem. My only concern is a nearby road that's busy. Would it be worth putting out some attractants/ salt licks in a safe area within shot of my high seat to encourage the deer away from the road. Any advice would be much appreciated.

​Cheers

Only you can make the call of whether it is a safe shot or no and the fact you are questioning it is telling you something...

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    If you can, you'd be better off putting the seat up away from the wood and shoot back towards it. Maybe even have the seat nearer the road? Getting into a seat inside a small wood without disturbing the animals is very dificult! Better to tackle them when they emerge out into the open where you can see them better. The wood is their safe refuge. If you take that away, they will most likely move away completely.
    MS
    +1 just make sure you are aware of any footpaths through the woods and as MS says this is their safe area so any deer shot that runs will run for the woods and not the road. If they see you in the woods they may well run the other way.