Thread: Spanish Ibex

Spanish Ibex

Hi,

Has anyone mounted a Spanish Ibex in the UK? I am going after one next month and am wandering that if the hunt is successful whether to get it mounted in Spain or get the trophy and skin transported back to a taxidermist in the UK.

Cheers

James

James
    I ve seen three that have been done in the UK. The best of these was done by Colin Dunton and it was very good. One was done by a chap in Norfolk and to be honest if it was mine I'd have been livid!
    That being said two of my Spanish friends have all their work done by the Garoz brothers in Toledo and it is absolutely museum class; and cheaper then the UK. I've had stuff done over there and simply bubbled wrapped and couriered in a stout box and its arrived perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by James Bowler View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone mounted a Spanish Ibex in the UK? I am going after one next month and am wandering that if the hunt is successful whether to get it mounted in Spain or get the trophy and skin transported back to a taxidermist in the UK.

Cheers

James
    James,

UK wise Phil Leggett has done some and they are stunning.
    In Madrid there is Taxidermia Iglesias who Gargantas de Gredos use.

Stan

Thanks for the info. The guide I am meeting comes from Toledo so hopefully he will be able to put me in touch with the Garoz brothers.

James

James,

One other thing, do you really want a mount?

That's what I had planned when I went out this February. Sat looking at the mounts in the hut I found the cute wooly face with demonic horns thrusting out at me a little disconcerting. Did I really want that in prime position on my wall.

A day in the snow having ridden up on horseback, hours traversing to get across two ridges onto the target animal in the falling snow, and one trophy. Only five hours. Lunch of Jambon, Cheese, Tortilla and red wine and then only four hours to get back down..... Knackered but what a day.

The best hunt I've ever done. Sat in the hut afterwards waiting for dinner and eyeballing all the mounts I settled on just having skull and horns. The cute face/demonic horns thing just freaked me.

Three days later I was still like a Dalek, couldn't handle stairs....

Stan

Phil Legetts did my friends and they should come out top class like normal.

I use Iglesias in Madrid who does a good job.

What species are you hunting?

SouthEastern. Have you hunted any of the Ibex in Spain?