Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barnes 6.5 x 55 120 gr TSX

Barnes 6.5 x 55 120 gr TSX

What a fantastic bullet. This 120 gr copper bullet humanely stopped this 200 lbs pre rut buck at 240 m. It went through both shoulders and was retrieved below the skin on the contralateral shoulder. Meat damage was minimal and the bullet retained 100 % of its mass. I calculate the bullet was spinning at 330,000 rpm. You can see from the bullet that it was travelling clockwise like a blender blade. It has the same trajectory as a 95 gr V max. It goups within 4 mm at 100m (3 shots) and exits at 3200 fps with 52 grains of N560 behind it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0119.jpg   Fallow.jpg  
    Last edited by rodkayak; 24-09-2013 at 22:11.

Lovely Animal, well done mate.
    You have the Throttle open on that Swede of yours. My 6.5x284 would struggle to match that.
    I tried some of the Barnes but could not match the Accuracy of the 120 Ballistic Tip and they were Hellish expensive.

Yorkie.

I can get 3000 fps with N160. Great bullet!

i use the 130 grain barnes both ttsx and tsx in my .270 fantastic round great stopping power with 55 grains of H4350,

I shoot a .243 with 95 grain nosler BT. The last two fallow bucks I have shot I have not had an exit wound with the bullet found just bellow the skin. (the last one was a very big boy).
    I have been disappointed with this and was luck that neither ran into cover as it would have been difficult to track them.I am now considering a larger calibre as I am shooting more and more fallow these days.
    I am surprised you are pleased with a bullet that did not exit particularly out of a larger calibre with what sounds like a hot load into a youngish animal.
    Perhaps I am missing something. It does sound incredibly accurate though.
    ATB George

I have shot a Sika with a 308 and it did not exit. There is no guarantee that any bullet short of a 50 cal BMG will exit. The only other certainty is to use a solid slug and then at least you can guarantee a large entry hole if not necessarily an exit(joking). I think the important point is to have a bullet that hits the part of the animal that you want it to(high accuracy) and transmits all its energy and to have recourse to a dog if the animal runs. I feel reassured that the bullet has been safely retained by the animal as it is not whanging its way off on a deflected course towards some unsuspecting member of the public. If you are worried about running , would shooting them through the shoulder help ? (This is not a facetious suggestion as my experience is limited compared to most of the members of this forum
    Last edited by rodkayak; 25-09-2013 at 06:48.

Quote Originally Posted by rodkayak View Post
    What a fantastic bullet. This 120 gr copper bullet humanely stopped this 200 lbs pre rut buck at 240 m. It went through both shoulders and was retrieved below the skin on the contralateral shoulder. Meat damage was minimal and the bullet retained 100 % of its mass. I calculate the bullet was spinning at 330,000 rpm. You can see from the bullet that it was travelling clockwise like a blender blade. It has the same trajectory as a 95 gr V max. It goups within 4 mm at 100m (3 shots) and exits at 3200 fps with 52 grains of N560 behind it.
    Nice buck and obviously the bullet/calibre did the job.
    But how on earth do you get it to go 3,200 fps without it being a compressed load and way into the red with N560?! To get near 3,200 fps my Quickload (albeit it's not the only Bible) gives a pressure of 69,587 psi with a COL of 3.000, I believe that's 4,500 psi above the proofing pressure!
    I'm just interested as I have a 6.5x55 and if what your doing is 'safely possible' (?) I might give it a go. What COL are you loading to?
    ​ATB

I'm just about to test some new loads with this bullet.
    Initially tried with N160 but could not group worth a hoot so I have IMR 4831 to try instead.
    It seemed to group slightly better with the N160 at low loads so have opted for a slightly slower powder

http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/product-charts/
    They list a 130 grain TSX with 50.3 grains of N560 doing 2959 fps. I used more as the bullet is 10 grains lighter. There are no pressure symptoms and ejection is fine and no cratering and 'bump back' using the bump die is easy. My chrono has not been calibrated but I do not think that it is that far off as the bullet is 1/2" high at 100 m. 1/4" high at 150m and about 2" low at 240.

I load slightly below the lands and so that the the top of the annular rings on the bullet coincide with the top of the case and thus do not trap any dirt between the case and the bullet. I will measure the length when I get home and send it to you.
    Last edited by rodkayak; 25-09-2013 at 08:37.

I known its a slightly different cal but im shooting 6.5 x 47 and just wanted to say about my load development with 100 grain barnes ttsx pushed by N150, @ 48 tho back from the lands in my 18in barrel it's grouping great and gives 3059fps average of 4 shot over chronograph.
    Away this weekend so hopefully ill use them in anger and be just as happy with the results
    Regards
    Jimmy