Thread: CWD - best timing please?

CWD - best timing please?

I plan to book a couple of days on CWD. I have good flexibility across their season and my question is whether to go early, late or mid-season or whether it matters much?

If it helps, I'm thinking of two doing two days with AM and PM stalks, so four in all. Accompanied on the first two stalks and then two AW stalks on the second day when I might know the ground better.

CWD normally rut around late December early January, but this year it could be earlier. It appears the Red and Sika rut is starting slightly earlier in some places. But then again it has been a rather odd season all the way round in my opinion.

Leading up to the rut for CWD it is easier to sex them as the bucks are marking areas and wandering around, you might even see some chasing and therefore it makes it easier to sex them from a distance.

ATB
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    CWD normally rut around late December early January, but this year it could be earlier. It appears the Red and Sika rut is starting slightly earlier in some places. But then again it has been a rather odd season all the way round in my opinion.

Leading up to the rut for CWD it is easier to sex them as the bucks are marking areas and wandering around, you might even see some chasing and therefore it makes it easier to sex them from a distance.

ATB
    Thanks for that response, if I was to book outside the rut would you advise before or after?