Aldi electric chainsaw

thorneyglatt

Just bought one of these - seems very good value: 2200w motor, 40cm (c16") Oregon bar & chain, made in Germany - 3 year warranty. £54.99.
Spare chain (Oregon) £9.99
complete with 1st fill of chain oil !
copes well with timber up to length of bar. Well worth the money for use anywhere there's a power supply.

I can see Aldi giving a few refunds on these... Plastic gears wear out in no time.

Saw them and wondered how good they might be. I should think it's a good bet for a garden saw. Maybe as good as a petrol one from the usual Spear and Jackson types that cost a few quid more and not as much hassle. Plug and play! But it'll be no Husqvarna or stihl. Having said that, I use an electric hedge trimmer powered with an inverter attached to the quad bike in inaccessible places with good results.

In my opinion, electric chainsaws are bad !!!

Most at people who buy one do so thinking 'it'll be handy' or 'safer than a petrol one. Wrong, hit a leg with any chainsaw and you are in deep s**t. Hit a leg with a petrol saw wearing chainsaw trousers, it's going to minimise tha damage by clogging up the clutch and stopping the chain, hit that same 'protected' leg with an electric one, no clutch to clog, so they keep on ripping away. Ask anybody who works with saws what they think of electric saws, and they'll all say the same. I'd rather chop up small logs with my 20" stihl 038 than a 'leccy saw' any day. As for actually felling anything......

Personally, I think its daft of aldi to sell them without ppe as standard (at the least) as lots of people will buy one then turn into an 'instant expert' and try felling, or worse, cutting up windfall, without the understanding of the stresses in the trees, then becoming a cropper when it springs the saw back into their face.

If you already have experience then they can be useful in the fact they 'don't need maintaining' as much as a petrol saw, and can be brought into use quickly, but does it really take much time to fill/drain a fuel tank ? Takes much longer to kit up in ppe.

Im also not saying 'don't buy one' but please, be aware that it's probably the most dangerous tool you'll ever use, take care, kit up, and be very aware of the fact that the saw will try and kill you at the first available chance.

Regards
​Pete

In my opinion, electric chainsaws are bad !!!

Most at people who buy one do so thinking 'it'll be handy' or 'safer than a petrol one. Wrong, hit a leg with any chainsaw and you are in deep s**t. Hit a leg with a petrol saw wearing chainsaw trousers, it's going to minimise tha damage by clogging up the clutch and stopping the chain, hit that same 'protected' leg with an electric one, no clutch to clog, so they keep on ripping away. Ask anybody who works with saws what they think of electric saws, and they'll all say the same. I'd rather chop up small logs with my 20" stihl 038 than a 'leccy saw' any day. As for actually felling anything......

Personally, I think its daft of aldi to sell them without ppe as standard (at the least) as lots of people will buy one then turn into an 'instant expert' and try felling, or worse, cutting up windfall, without the understanding of the stresses in the trees, then becoming a cropper when it springs the saw back into their face.

If you already have experience then they can be useful in the fact they 'don't need maintaining' as much as a petrol saw, and can be brought into use quickly, but does it really take much time to fill/drain a fuel tank ? Takes much longer to kit up in ppe.

Im also not saying 'don't buy one' but please, be aware that it's probably the most dangerous tool you'll ever use, take care, kit up, and be very aware of the fact that the saw will try and kill you at the first available chance.

Regards
​Pete

Mine was bought with the intention of reducing the less pleasant accompaniments of petrol chainsawing
- a) vibration b) noise c) exhaust fumes d) occasionally temperamental starting !

a & b reduced significantly; c & d eliminated !

I beg to differ the most dangerous tool you'll ever own. All tools are as dangerous as each other if they are used incorrectly and without experience or correct training.

A drill is equally as dangerous, if some idiot is wearing a hooded top with tassels and gets pulled in to the chuck. Just as dangerous.

Imo though.

Nathan

I beg to differ the most dangerous tool you'll ever own. All tools are as dangerous as each other if they are used incorrectly and without experience or correct training.

A drill is equally as dangerous, if some idiot is wearing a hooded top with tassels and gets pulled in to the chuck. Just as dangerous.

Imo though.

Nathan
Agreed, if used incorrectly, but a correctly used chainsaw can still kick back with a load of sharp teeth moving at 80m/s, and normally directly towards the operator.
Any tool used incorrectly has the potential to cause injury, a chainsaw used correctly can still rip open your jugular in milliseconds.

I bought a really cheap and cheerful electric chainsaw from B&Q once and only once for a one-off job getting an old tree stump out.... I had started digging it out but the roots turned out to be more significant than anticipated and I figured the cost of the crappy chainsaw was less than the rental on a stump grinder or a new bar/chain/rim sprocket for my Husqy

Basically I wrote the thing off totally in about 10 cuts but it saved some back ache I suppose :D

A router spinning in excess of 10, 000rpm can do exactly the same as could the teeth on the chuck of a drill, they all have potential to kill regardless of speed etc.

Any tool treated with disregard and no respect is going to hurt you. Yes some are more dangerous than others however in the wrong hands they are all dangerous and deadly machines.

So if there's any kids on here, don't mess about in the fathers shed!!

In all honesty I see where you are coming from but they are deadly and have the potential to kill as said before.

Nathan

Agreed, if used incorrectly, but a correctly used chainsaw can still kick back with a load of sharp teeth moving at 80m/s, and normally directly towards the operator.
Any tool used incorrectly has the potential to cause injury, a chainsaw used correctly can still rip open your jugular in milliseconds.
There was a report a few years ago of hubby coming in from the garden with the jugular spouting and he died in his wifes arms.
Get the safety hat with shield too it is part of a chainsaw system.
Like a chisel needs a hammer too. so does a chainsaw need a protective suit, gloves & headgear.
Be cheap and die young.
Martin

I have used an electric one before and i agree that is some situation they are better than petrol. when used indoors in a small space to cut up old pallets for kindling, but other that i have no ideas but its always horse or courses.

Andy7mm

Back