Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turning down stalking because of your rifle?

Question Turning down stalking because of your rifle?

This question has occurred to me because an earlier post I made, but I'm interested in the answer anyway and it is a distinct topic (so I hope the mods don't mind me starting another post here).

My question is simple: have any of you ever had to turn down or rearrange a stalking trip because the land you were going to shoot on hadn't been cleared for your calibre?

If so, what did you do in that situation? Did you borrow an estate rifle? Apply for a variation for a smaller calibre? Has this never happened to you because you have two (or more) calibres, both (all) for deer?

Interested to hear people's experiences / approaches.

Thanks,

Adam.

PS - For the earlier post, see here: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...libre?p=655505) I've been trying to work out whether I should also have applied for a smaller deer calibre and what reason I should give if so.

Any land that's cleared for anything up to .243 is probably because no-one has ever requested anything bigger.

afterall a .243 is a necked down .308 making it a much faster round. It's a bit like comparing a .17hmr to a .22wmr (bigger bullet travelling slower)

​I wouldn't worry too much, anyone who takes out paying clients will have their ground cleared for .308
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Either,use the estate rifle or apply for an open cert using the argument you have put,conditions should only be for public safety,if the resident stalker uses a larger calibre, why cant you??....using your own rifle is safer than using an unfamiliar estate rifle.........

Thanks both for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    Either,use the estate rifle or apply for an open cert using the argument you have put,conditions should only be for public safety,if the resident stalker uses a larger calibre, why cant you??....using your own rifle is safer than using an unfamiliar estate rifle.........
    Good point. The question was only theoretical, but as and when required, I'll remember that argument.

I think you're more likely to be turned down/refused to stalk if you show up with a 'tacticool' looking rifle...or, at least you 'should'

No worries there - when my FAC comes through it'll be something traditional, wooden-stocked, etc. for me. Liking the idea of a CZ at the moment, but I'm not trying to start a "what's best?" thread by saying that.

Yes I have. Only in the circumstances that the land had not been 'cleared' at all.

As far as I am concerned, to have knowingly attended in breach of the conditions of my certificate, ignoring the illegality of it, would have been very disrespectful towards the host and I dare say, if discovered could have landed them in hot water.

I did manage to use the occasion to have the condition lifted from my certificate however so it worked out very well in the end!

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I think you're more likely to be turned down/refused to stalk if you show up with a 'tacticool' looking rifle...or, at least you 'should'
    I can't agree more!
    Mil. style 'tactical' gear doesn't do us stalkers any favours from a PR point of view.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    I can't agree more!
    Mil. style 'tactical' gear doesn't do us stalkers any favours from a PR point of view.
    This is an emotional argument. There are far too many people attempting to apply emotional arguments to stalking, including a very many stalkers for some reason. The only arguments which should be considered when it comes to legislating, controlling and governing stalking should be scientific ones based in physical reality relating to the suitability of the person, firearm, bullet etc. to do the job.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I couldn't care what they turn up with as long as they have practiced and are proficient at putting the round where they intend? and they are safe!

don't forget the M40 was just a heavy barreled wooden stocked rifle to start with?

I'm really hoping your joking because your attitude is all that is wrong with shooting sports in the uk and will eventually lead to the demise of our loved sport.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !