Thread: Steyr Mannlicher Professional in 6.5x55

Steyr Mannlicher Professional in 6.5x55

How many of them are out there and what are they worth in used but 'as new' condition? Does anyone own one and how do you rate it? I have had 3 SSGs in different configurations and like everything about them apart from the weight and have found one of the above at a good price.

I did have a hankering for one some time ago but the 6.5 I saw in Chris Potters was not quite like new. They wanted 850 with mounts at least 3 years ago. I have used SSG s extensively over the past 20 years and like them a lot but they are not easy to re barrel when shot out and the stocks do seem to be subject to damage from barrel cleaner. There is a short barrel 308 on Guntrader which looks pretty good. That was around 1400 I think!

I've not gone down the route of re-barrelling. Do you know the differences between SSG and PRO? All I can see is different scope rail and stock. All else appears to be the same. Are they roughly the same value as a P1?

I had one in .270 and loved it, should never have sold it. They do generally seem to be overpriced when they appear second hand, not sure why. Check that the magazine is fully functioning.

For a while they were pretty much standard issue to the FC so some, particularly the .270s, will have hD a considerable amount of use but I wouldn't let that put me off if the price was right and I was able to test fire.

Mine had a lovely single set trigger. First deer I ever shot with it was a bronze medal roebuck by mistake but thats another story and it certainly wasn't the rifles fault!

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    I had one in .270 and loved it, should never have sold it. They do generally seem to be overpriced when they appear second hand, not sure why. Check that the magazine is fully functioning. For a while they were pretty much standard issue to the FC so some, particularly the .270s, will have hD a considerable amount of use but I wouldn't let that put me off if the price was right and I was able to test fire. Mine had a lovely single set trigger. First deer I ever shot with it was a bronze medal roebuck by mistake but thats another story and it certainly wasn't the rifles fault!
    Thanks Glyn. What kind of price bracket have you seen them advertised at as I only have SSG prices to compare to? What bracket is reasonable in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Thanks Glyn. What kind of price bracket have you seen them advertised at as I only have SSG prices to compare to? What bracket is reasonable in your opinion?
    I've seen a couple round about the 1000 mark or just under by the time you have taken out the value of any optic that they are being sold with. I reckon 700-800 is probably nearer the right price for a reasonable example.

They had iron sights so any that are threaded have been tinkered with. Most seem to come with Apel mounts which are expensive but, personally, I don't like them as the 3/4 ring invariably scratches scope tubes.

What have you been quoted for the 6.5x55? What sort of order is it in and what extras are included?

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    I've seen a couple round about the 1000 mark or just under by the time you have taken out the value of any optic that they are being sold with. I reckon 700-800 is probably nearer the right price for a reasonable example. They had iron sights so any that are threaded have been tinkered with. Most seem to come with Apel mounts which are expensive but, personally, I don't like them as the 3/4 ring invariably scratches scope tubes. What have you been quoted for the 6.5x55? What sort of order is it in and what extras are included?
    I'll tell you offline incase I want to sell it on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    I've not gone down the route of re-barrelling. Do you know the differences between SSG and PRO? All I can see is different scope rail and stock. All else appears to be the same. Are they roughly the same value as a P1?
    It is as you say, mainly the lack of dovetail for the mounts. Like Glynn all of the ones I have seen had EAWs. The stock is the same material (cryolac of something like this) but the pro has a sporting outline and a standard butter knife bolt handle although some SSGs had these. The barrels are not threaded in but heat shrunk, similar I thing to the new Sauer101. You can get round this apparently but it sound a bit of a faff. The rifles I had all were well into the 5000 rnds mark and shot perfectly well. Main breakages were magazines, plastic bolt knobs and the supplied sworovski 3-12x56 scopes slipping in the phosphated rings. I would have one again but there are far better sniper rifles now.
    I think that it's a bit like driving a series 3LR when everybody else has a Defender. Retro and cool and worth 750!
    Last edited by Jagdmatch; 26-09-2013 at 15:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdmatch View Post
    It is as you say, mainly the lack of dovetail for the mounts. Like Glynn all of the ones I have seen had EAWs. The stock is the same material (cryolac of something like this) but the pro has a sporting outline and a standard butter knife bolt handle although some SSGs had these. The barrels are not threaded in but heat shrunk, similar I thing to the new Sauer101. You can get round this apparently but it sound a bit of a faff. The rifles I had all were well into the 5000 rnds mark and shot perfectly well. Main breakages were magazines, plastic bolt knobs and the supplied sworovski 3-12x56 scopes slipping in the phosphated rings. I would have one again but there are far better sniper rifles now. I think that it's a bit like driving a series 3LR when everybody else has a Defender. Retro and cool and worth 750!
    I've had a P1 threaded before but even with hammerite matching the colour of the barrel it still doesn't disguise the sawn off foresight very well. I wonder what others have done to disguise it. I don't really see the moderator as essential for my use so I will be keeping as is. 750 sounds about right. It was the market value of a used SSG from fenland rural sports about 5 years ago. They seemed to be the outlet of surplus from the sportsmans gun center.