Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 reloading

.243 reloading

Can anybody give me some advise on load data for my .243. I'm new to reloading so have nothing to go on. I currently shoot hornady 95 grain sst factory loads and I'm looking to get a load that has very similar characteristics to this.

hav e a trawl here for any load data .243 Winchester @ www.reloadersnest.com

but what ever load you decide to go with , please work it up for safeties sake
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

It depends what you are going to be shooting, if just for foxes then the sierra 70g blitzkings are a good choice, this is some rounds I made yesterday and tried today

5 shots, nearest to the bull was a fowling shot, then 4 in 1 group,
    the recipe for that was
    70g blitzking
    38.6g vit n140
    fed primers
    norma brass

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon_shooter View Post
    Can anybody give me some advise on load data for my .243. I'm new to reloading so have nothing to go on. I currently shoot hornady 95 grain sst factory loads and I'm looking to get a load that has very similar characteristics to this.

I load 95grn nosler hunting tips. 44.5grn N160.hornady brass and federal primers. Oal 68.5mm. If you try this work up too it. It is right on top end of suggested max load.
    Always think before you pull that trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo.222 View Post
    I load 95grn nosler hunting tips. 44.5grn N160.hornady brass and federal primers. Oal 68.5mm. If you try this work up too it. It is right on top end of suggested max load.
    I also use this load & it's very effective with Nosler 95gn ballistic tips. However I use Rem 9 1/2 primers and my OAL is 2.490" measured using a comparator. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Thanks for the tips lads, gives me something to look into. There is so much to consider when reloading. How did any of you decide what powder to use ?

I'm also quite new at this, but have just been working up some loads for 95 grain Hornady SST in .243.
    So far I've found 38.1 grains of N160 to be best. I started at 37.5 and worked up 0.1 grains at a time.
    Hope this helps.

​Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard S View Post
    I'm also quite new at this, but have just been working up some loads for 95 grain Hornady SST in .243.
    So far I've found 38.1 grains of N160 to be best. I started at 37.5 and worked up 0.1 grains at a time.
    Hope this helps.

​Richard
    Have you run that load over a chrono? It sounds a bit on the light side for a N160/95grn load.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon_shooter View Post
    Thanks for the tips lads, gives me something to look into. There is so much to consider when reloading. How did any of you decide what powder to use ?
    The key to deciding which powder to use is to find what your local gun shop will have a good, reliable and long term supply of. You'll read about all these fancy loads with fancy powders on the internet but if you go down that route you'll spend the rest of your life trying to buy powder. Use whatever is most commonly and easily available that is suitable for your cartridge.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    Have you run that load over a chrono? It sounds a bit on the light side for a N160/95grn load.
    Well i personally use 44.5grn N160. But if the low amount works for him thats good. And if you do try higher work up too it. It on the top end of max from the viht manual.
    Always think before you pull that trigger.