Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Esophagus ties are so last year...

Esophagus ties are so last year...

OK, this is a tongue in cheek title. What I wanted to suggest is that, while I was at Homebase today I came across what I think is a much better and easy way to deal with the issue of stopping the contents of the esophagus (and the anal track maybe) of a shot deer contaminating the carcass during the process of gralloching.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1387.jpg 
Views:	642 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	32797

What do you guys think? I mean, I am only stalking for the last three years and I am not trying to teach you how to suck an egg, but don't you think this is a much more neater and quick way to secure the esophagus than these plastic ties bought from the hardware store?
    Last edited by Psyxologos; 25-09-2013 at 22:54.

oesophagus

On the whole there should be no need to tie either end. Have you ever been in a slaughterhouse? Think they set on with cable ties?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

SD Regular
    Nice idea.

However.....(!)
    How hygienic will these be after dragging round in your bag/after second or third use - but more importantly, the point of the cable tie (Apache's erudite statement notwithstanding) is so it slips easily through the membranes to release said tube - this may catch etc - and then release....
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I used small surgical forceps (off ebay for fishing) for a while and they were faster and more efficient that any other method..... but you put them down and lose them too easy and I lost a couple so went back to putting a knot in it.

I have no idea why people see the need to even cut the oesophagus? If you do a suspended gralloch (which is undoubtedly the cleanest method), leave it attached and strip it out all the way forward of the atlas joint. Then remove the head with the gralloch and oesophagus still intact. You can then stick an 'S' hook through the lower jaw and suspend the head and entire gralloch in a similar manner for inspection.
    In answer to your question though, I very much doubt those clips would seal it properly anyway if pressure built up behind them? They would also rust and be a nightmare to keep clean. You can get proper clips for this purpose though. A friend of mine that worked in an abattoir gave me some once. I still have them somewhere - unused!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I have no idea why people see the need to even cut the oesophagus? If you do a suspended gralloch (which is undoubtedly the cleanest method), leave it attached and strip it out all the way forward of the atlas joint. Then remove the head with the gralloch and oesophagus still intact. You can then stick an 'S' hook through the lower jaw and suspend the head and entire gralloch in a similar manner for inspection.
    In answer to your question though, I very much doubt those clips would seal it properly anyway if pressure built up behind them? They would also rust and be a nightmare to keep clean. You can get proper clips for this purpose though. A friend of mine that worked in an abattoir gave me some once. I still have them somewhere - unused!
    MS

suspended works great if you can lift the deer, for larger deer or larger species, it's tricky..I did cable ties and latex gloves for a while, now I'm back to tying a knot and washing the hands in a stream...no one's ever been sick after eating any venison I've shot...more the wine that goes with it!

Here, if you are going to do it, then stop pissing about and get the right tool for the job!
    Weasand clips!
    http://www.ces-ltd.co/products/lamb-clips-loose/
    There isn't a deer in the land that can't be lifted either. Man-up, or get a hoist!
    MS
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 26-09-2013 at 08:32.

Never done a suspended gralloch in my life and don't ever intend to either. Why is it cleaner? The deer are lying dead on the very ground they were feeding on a few seconds before the shot so I guess they cannot get any more contaminated from lying dead on their food. Open neck, pair off meat around oesophagus with knife, cut through and tie a knot. Removing the meat around it allows for the knot to be tied tighter and wont slip. Same at other end (arse) and remove pluck still attached to guts, both sealed at either end. Simpler, less fiddly, less kit to carry...

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Never done a suspended gralloch in my life and don't ever intend to either. Why is it cleaner? The deer are lying dead on the very ground they were feeding on a few seconds before the shot so I guess they cannot get any more contaminated from lying dead on their food. Open neck, pair off meat around oesophagus with knife, cut through and tie a knot. Removing the meat around it allows for the knot to be tied tighter and wont slip. Same at other end (arse) and remove pluck still attached to guts, both sealed at either end. Simpler, less fiddly, less kit to carry...
    It's cleaner because the deer wasn't opened up when it was still alive! It also prevents any blood or contamination from a chest shot deer spreading back to toward the valuable part of the animal. How can it not be cleaner? If you'd done one in this manner, You'd know why it is so much better!
    MS

You need to look at this all from the outside and see what is 'best practice' and then what is acceptable practice in the field.

In a slaughterhouse dealing with carcases on the floor would never be allowed. Equally on the top of a Scottish moor there many not be a tree for a couple of miles to try and drag staggie up.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.