243 load recommendations

paultap

Hi guys

I have just purchased a new stainless synthetic Sako 85 in .243 calibre, I have purchased it with the Idea of using it for foxing and some stalking, I am looking for some load recommendations for deer stalking, either factory loads or hand loads. I realise that .243 is a bit marginal for some species of deer but wondered what are the best performance loads that could be recommended.

many thanks.

Last edited:
I would home load for it, if you use a nosler 85g - 90g ballistic tip on either fox or deer it will do the job as long as you do your part with shot placement :D

85 bthp sierra load data from the one book mine runs 1/2 moa if i do my side right if you wish i can copy it all load info is as per data'r from sierra , vit 140 3130 fps in my rpa.
I would home load for it, if you use a nosler 85g - 90g ballistic tip on either fox or deer it will do the job as long as you do your part with shot placement :D

Standard factory Federal Power-Shock 100Grains in .243W works for me on foxes and deer.
I agree with Eric, i have used these in my .243 and my friends .243, both Sako
But i reload, so i use BTSP 100g Speer and Reloader 19, 40 grains, doesn't appear to bother the fox or deer which are used, both very effective even on big Devon reds.

Cheers

​Richard

Hornady 100g BTSP 38gr Hodgden H414 or Sierra 85g BTHP 37gr Vit N140. Sako 90g or 100g sp always worked well for me also.

If you can get them try the PPU 90 and 100 grain SP's - these will shoot just under an inch group in my rifle all day long and are extremely cheap in comparison to some other brands, you can barely reload them any cheaper than PPU's price sometimes!

it'll also give you a stock of brass if you do decide to reload.

regards,
gixer

Back