Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric quads and there use!

Electric quads and there use!

Has any one on here got personal experience of these!
    Electric Quad Bike Manufacturer and Supplier England

I have been debating getting a quad for a long time now.
    But the use of it will be intermittent.

A sorting of something like this, is something that needs a lot of resurch!
    Any quad I do get, will be running tracks!

Why not? Electric motors produce their maximum torque at zero revs - ideal for traction type applications so you have max torque when starting and at low speeds. Range may be an issue in some applications, but most quads are used for short journeys - you need to recharge, but that involves plugging in a lead, not decanting petrol from a jerry can. No need to drive miles to the filling station with Jerry cans. Much simpler and many fewer moving parts, so probably in the long run more reliable. But will I expect be expensive.

me personally would say not but thats just me 30 miles is not far between charges and if using on hilly hard ground i bet it would be alot less between charge times, battery life has to be a major concideration and would like to know in real terms how long they would garantee them to be good for as new battery will cost you both arms and both legs.
    petrols got to be an easier way till battery life is great or they come up with a solution to exchanging battery and not a huge expence,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Well in most aplications the range will be fine.

If a recharge is needed. I have 3 generators I have seamed to collected. One of which will runs for 15 hours from a single tank.

One other has a gas conversion kit on it. So if needed it could be recharged "in field".

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    me personally would say not but thats just me 30 miles is not far between charges and if using on hilly hard ground i bet it would be alot less between charge times, battery life has to be a major concideration and would like to know in real terms how long they would garantee them to be good for as new battery will cost you both arms and both legs.
    petrols got to be an easier way till battery life is great or they come up with a solution to exchanging battery and not a huge expence,atb wayne
    Good points there Wayne.
    But the batts are not li-ion batts. So the cost is not huge.

Altho that would be a interesting upgrade!

Also running tracks reduces your ground pressure. So in your not plowing through mud your riding on top. Even with my weight on it!

Has any one on here actuly got and run one?

That electric polarus thing George Digweed uses on FSB looks good and seems to make for a stealthy approach.

Near Melton Mowbray (Home of the Pork Pie!)
    the Polaris Quads are pretty good, but the EV is available only in the Mid Size Ranger, which in today market outsells the original quad, Polaris do not reccommend tracks going on the EV, its range in high mode is 50 miles, and to be fair you would have to be going through some pretty thick stuff to get a Polaris stuck, but if you want stealth the EV is the way, bit weird at the start buy you'll love it.
    If you do get one make sure it has the battery fill system makes maintenance easier!

not biased in anyway.....

The only people I know that run an electric cart are the really annoying ones that drive in the middle of the road at 4mph, no lights, no road tax and no insurance!! Stick to petrol, whats the problem with filling 20Lt every time you fill your car or truck?

I have had an electric Ranger on demo and quite liked it, very stealthy BUT and it a very big BUT the range was nothing like what the manufacturer was claiming, it ran out of juice before I had even put the slug pellets on one (admittedly large) field, this made the machine totally unusable in a work environment. If you run out of fuel in a conventional vehicle you just fill up wherever you are, with electric you need a plug and you can forget the rest of that day as well as they take ages to charge.

I would treat any manufacturers range claims with extreme scepticism, Tesla were no different with their car, get a demo before making any decisions. I would also worry about the longevity of the batteries and electrics in a wet and muddy environment.

Anthony thanks thats exactly what i meant, the range from new is low but after 6 months i bet it drops dramatically you would need it on a constant trickle to keep it ok, i just dont see the battery's lasting for long you probably would need a few on rotation, too much hassle if you ask me when all you need is a jerry can, and if you got fed up i bet resale would be really bad. atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports