Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 308 168gr TTSX field results on Moose

308 168gr TTSX field results on Moose

I undertake an annual moose hunting trip with some Swedish friends. About 4 years ago I switched from my 9.3x62 to a moderated 308
    with 18" barrel. It doesn't like max loads but after some development I had a 168gr TTSX at 2,525fps using N150.

Year 1 was a blank

Year 2 I shot a bull at 80m with a perfect shoulder shot. The bull died in 60m quite normally. The expansion in the rib cage looked pretty small though.

Year 3 I used a 180gr partition to shoot a bull

Year 4 I went back to the 168gr TTSX as I had left a box with my mates to avoid extra airline charges. I had a great trip shooting 4 moose but bullet expansion was poor.

Cow - one lung and liver at 100yards - alive and walking after 15minutes - shot in the neck on follow up

Calf - both shoulders broken at 80yards - dead in 15yards

Bull - lung at 150yards, stood looking sick then walked off. Then hit once in the liver, once in the liver and lung and once in the shoulder. The liver shots showed only as much damage you would get poking a finger through it.

Calf - neck shot

Now I'll be the first to agree that 2 animals taking a bit of time to die isn't conclusive and that some of the shots were not the best even though they hit vitals. However I have come to the conclusion that this bullet is not exactly the hammer of thor. Then I add that to a couple of reds shot with lighter faster TSX and my friends experience of 150gr TSX on moose and I come to the conclusion that though they may be fine at much faster velocities they are not going to be used in my 308 again.

I use TTSX in 7mmWSM custom rifle and they perform exactly as advertised, for me. Barnes claim maximum bullet weight retention and 4x calibre expansion. This is what I've found on 18st Red and small Roe. I am pushing them at 3100, though.

its not the bullet its your shot placement,Ive shot all manor of big animals with Barns bullets and they didn't take 1 step.Barns are abrgeat bullet if you can get them to group they do the job on anything from a Munty to a Elan

Liver and lung = vitals. Even a moose should not be alive after 15minutes hit like that. Nor should expansion be so poor as to be only about 2x calibre hole in the organs. I am sure they can be great but it doesn't appear to me that they like to be at the lower end of the velocity range.

Established Poster Muddy Springer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
    Liver and lung = vitals. Even a moose should not be alive after 15minutes hit like that. Nor should expansion be so poor as to be only about 2x calibre hole in the organs. I am sure they can be great but it doesn't appear to me that they like to be at the lower end of the velocity range.
    One up the Ar5e is vital given enough time. Liver and a clipped lung aint gonna stop a rabbit never mind a feckin moose.

Very informative and honest post from OP, including the notion of lowish velocity possibly being the culprit.

No reason for Barnes fanboys to bash the shot placement, the shots were reasonable and another bullet might have done better in the stated velocity window. A shot through liver and one lung should not mean the beast is standing 15min later.

I drop a bullet weight when using Barnes. This will give you better velocities, expansion and penetration. Very good bullet. Drive them fast!

Quote Originally Posted by jthyttin View Post
    Very informative and honest post from OP, including the notion of lowish velocity possibly being the culprit.

No reason for Barnes fanboys to bash the shot placement, the shots were reasonable and another bullet might have done better in the stated velocity window. A shot through liver and one lung should not mean the beast is standing 15min later.
    the shots were not reasonable,there is no such thing as a reasonable shot,of course a beast of that size could stand for 15 mins as it would probably take that long for 1 lung to fill up.

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    its not the bullet its your shot placement,Ive shot all manor of big animals with Barns bullets and they didn't take 1 step.Barns are abrgeat bullet if you can get them to group they do the job on anything from a Munty to a Elan
    Do you mean an Eland ..... pic. 1?

They work on Zebra foal and baby Giraffe too
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Do you mean an Eland ..... pic. 1?

They work on Zebra foal and baby Giraffe too
    so sorry for the mistake you must be the "spelling police"
    the Zebra was far from a "foal" in fact he was a very nice Stallion with not too many scars on is hide and the Giraffe wasn't a "baby either" but we did shoot some babies on that trip as part of the cull plan on that particular concession.
    is there anything else you would like to comment on
    Last edited by see it shoot it; 27-09-2013 at 17:24.