Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrong Headstamp Going abroad

Wrong Headstamp Going abroad

I have an 8 x 60r merkel double. As ammo for this calibre is unavailable in the UK I reform brass from 7x65 r brass.
    Does anyone know what problems this will cause if travelling with this gun and ammo say to France on a hunting trip?
    (I know you can get commercial 8 X 60r ammo in a number of European countries but I have worked up a load that regulates well in my rifle and would want to use that)

whenever I have been hunting overseas they have never inspected my ammo

I have never had my ammo inspected, only been asked how many.
    I'm not sure the customs guys/gals that do check, if they so decided to, would take that much interest in the headstamp anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ade8mm View Post
    I have an 8 x 60r merkel double. As ammo for this calibre is unavailable in the UK I reform brass from 7x65 r brass.
    Does anyone know what problems this will cause if travelling with this gun and ammo say to France on a hunting trip?
    (I know you can get commercial 8 X 60r ammo in a number of European countries but I have worked up a load that regulates well in my rifle and would want to use that)
    Given the cost of most overseas hunting trips and the jobs worth nature of customs / police etc, I would some properly stamped brass for overseas travel. I have mail ordered empty unloaded and un primed brass from the continent with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Given the cost of most overseas hunting trips and the jobs worth nature of customs / police etc, I would some properly stamped brass for overseas travel. I have mail ordered empty unloaded and un primed brass from the continent with no problems.
    Good idea, but Ade8mm has reworked brass and is quite happy with it, hence the question.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Good idea, but Ade8mm has reworked brass and is quite happy with it, hence the question.
    Understood - should have added - keep the reworked 7x65r brass for everyday shooting and save the properly head stamped stuff for overseas trips.

Thanks for the responses. I would love to get some properly head-stamped brass. Over the years I have made many attempt to source some. I am of the of the opinion that it is impossible, hence the original post. (mind you I would be delighted toe be proved wrong!) Ade..

It's a problem if you go to hunt in Portugal or Russia - both insist on rifle ammunition that is head stamped to match the calibre you are importing.

Every time we fly into Portugal with rifles the police officer at Lisbon airport checks each round on the way in and on the way out again. It's the only European country where anyone has even looked at the ammunition but we were warned that if the calibre details didn't match, the ammunition would not be allowed in.

​In Russia it is usually another reason to solicit bribes in US dollars...

By the way, Browning still list 8x60R ammunition (I think it is made for them by RWS) and Privi Partizan still make brass for it as one of their limited production calibres. It was a fairly standard round in Portugal for a while - sort of a magnum version of their 8x57R Mauser.