Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ziegler Kontra claw mount

Ziegler Kontra claw mount

Please can any one give me some feedback on a set of ziegler contra claw mount as thinking of getting some

In my personal opinion it is a very traditional mounting system that am sure does the job but there are better ones out there

Ziegler tried to improve the original design to counteract recoil side effects
    I personally think Apel, Leupold and others make better designs and better constructed mounts for quick release scopes

the Suhler/Zeigler style mounts were often totally custom made and soldered bases would be fitted with hand made uppers. this makes using multi scopes on one rifle or one scope on two rifles very difficult

not sure zeiglers are like this now though

depends on what you want it for
    traditional looking quick release driven game rifle
    or
    ​trulyfunctionall return to zero quick release scope?

Would like to go down the line of the traditional look as all my rifle have to look great to i am a little nuts like that,but like it to be robust also
    Its a toss up between the Apel or Ziegler.
    But do the Apel come in different height settings.
    Last edited by Hotdog; 27-09-2013 at 21:32.

SD Regular
    My 2p worth. I have shot a number of rifles with well fitted claw mounts one of vintage before 1918 and one of 1960s make plus a couple more. In all cases they have been of acceptable accuracy for stalking.

I also use, but don't like, Redfield "Turn In" mounts on one of my rifles. I don't like them because they put all the strain on the front of the 'scope and also they look 'clunky"...I think they are awful...BUT....

I also think that Apel "Turn In" mounts are no more nor less than expensive versions of Redfield "Turn In" and I personally don't like Apel mounts and don't think that they are, compared to the Redfield "Turn In" value for money at all.

If you want claw mounts try Alan Rhone in the UK. If you are going the "Turn In" route I'd simply (as now the adjustment for windage is on the 'scope with the reticle still centred) buy a set of Redfield mounts!

Ziegler absolutely superb. Read the review on them done by Bruce Potts in a Shooting Times article last year. They are the best quick release mounts that you can get.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I think i am leaning towards the Ziegler i did try calling Alan Rhone today believe that Irwin is the man to talk to but he is not in till next Wednesday.
    As he will tell me the best height for my s&b.
    But just trying to get the best feedback from you chaps.

There is a huge diffrence between the Ziegler Contra claw hook mount and the traditional claw hook mount. The traditional is up to the gunsmith. A man that knwos his job gives a good mount otherwise it's crap. I had one and it was perfect. The contra claw hook has to be installed on the pre drilled holes in the action. You do not depend a lot on the gunsmiths skills. I had a contra mount made by Otto Bock ( identical to the Ziegler) and it was perfect. Certainly a lot more professional than the Leupold Quick release that I have now. For me a good mount, in wich I have confidence. Still easy if you want to use the open sights. It wil be the one I go to if I ever need a quick release mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog View Post
    I think i am leaning towards the Ziegler i did try calling Alan Rhone today believe that Irwin is the man to talk to but he is not in till next Wednesday.
    As he will tell me the best height for my s&b.
    But just trying to get the best feedback from you chaps.
    Irwin at Alan Rhone's is definitely the man to speak to. He is a genuine gunsmith and not just a gun mechanic. He fitted Ziegler mounts to my Chapuis, I don't think that you can get better mounts or better service than I received there.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I agree, the traditional SEM is the way to go if you have a good gunsmith to install them and especially if you are using a good mauser action with a beautiful crest on the front receiver bridge, then stick it on the barrel using a SEM saddle.

if you have any other action or your mauser action is drilled and tapped, then use the ziegler contra/zp mount

swingmounts, IMHO, put way too much stress on the scope laterally.

ps. it's Erwin Peumans,,not Irwin.