Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dodgy moment...

Dodgy moment...

Had a moment yesterday evening that I thought I'd share to hopefully benefit others, I have had my Tikka T3 30-06 for a few months now and have shot a few roe and a few foxes with it and fired probably around 80-100 rounds through it, I had it out last night and was on a piece of land and so had the muzzle up in the air - I cycled the bolt and chambered a round and went to apply the safety and the rifle went off...much to my shock...

i cycled the bolt without a round in and again it cocked the bolt but fired as I applied the safety...obviously this had me a bit spooked so I up the rifle in the car and took my 243 out.

one of the first stops today was my local gun shop who took the action out of the stock and discovered the trigger assembly had worked loose - there was also a spring on the assembly that had dropped out due to the trigger assembly being loose.

my gun shop kindly gave me a new trigger assembly and fitted it and we tested the rifle giving all the usual thump, drop and wiggle everything test.

one thing I noticed on the rifle and a brand new T3 we had a look at in the shop was the main cap screw that holds the assembly into the action is not locktited on, this to me on a caliber with a fair thump of recoil was surprising so this serves to warn others that it's worth checking your rifle over just to make sure, also the need for muzzle awareness is paramount.

its a frightening thought when you think if it had been pointed in the wrong direction or worse in a truck lamping with a rifle inside the cab, plenty of people will quietly load a round when a fox is spotted and the need to ensure you are in a safe position is so so important. I am SO SO glad the people who have mentored and taught me over the years hav always drummed the safety aspect into me and muzzle awareness was one of those things.

i for one will be shortening the time between full strip downs now on all my rifles now to check all fasteners and I would strongly ask other people do the same.

regards,
    gixer
    Last edited by gixer1; 27-09-2013 at 19:09.

Heard that before about T3`s. I suppose when one screw is relied upon to secure a trigger unit in place your asking a lot, two would be far better.

​Al

Extremely lucky good job you had good mentors. As with any firearm safety is paramount, I have seen some dangerous shooting men in my time with shotguns and it has been a wonder that there has not been more accidents across the country. It is a good thing that you let people know what could happen and just hope the ones new to shooting read the thread.

Thanks for sharing that very sobering account. It demonstrates how essential correct handling and maintenance is.

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    I had it out last night and was on a piece of land and so had the muzzle up in the air - I cycled the bolt and chambered a round and went to apply the safety and the rifle went off...much to my shock...
    Thanks for sharing Gixer, but thats very poor rifle handling, if I have understood correctly.

Only ever load when pointing the rifle at the ground. Away from you, into soft earth. Fundamental rule, any mentor should have drummed this into you. Loading and unloading, always pointing at the ground.

As well as trigger finger discipline.

Who knows where your bullet went .

I am also struggling to understand why the rifle fired when you applied the safety. Knowing the T3 mechanism that seems most unlikely, whatever was wrong with the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Thanks for sharing Gixer, but thats very poor rifle handling, if I have understood correctly.

Only ever load when pointing the rifle at the ground. Away from you, into soft earth. Fundamental rule, any mentor should have drummed this into you. Loading and unloading, always pointing at the ground.

As well as trigger finger discipline.

Who knows where your bullet went .

I am also struggling to understand why the rifle fired when you applied the safety. Knowing the T3 mechanism that seems most unlikely, whatever was wrong with the trigger.

i really don't give a sh*t how unlikely you feel it may be. - the fact of the matter is it happened, and please tell me how you can always keep a loaded rifle muzzle pointed at soft earth?

I also fail to see how trigger finger discipline comes into it as my finger was 100% no where near the trigger.

I really couldnt give a monkeys on opinions about this - it was meant as a warning about the trigger mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    i really don't give a sh*t how unlikely you feel it may be. - the fact of the matter is it happened, and please tell me how you can always keep a loaded rifle muzzle pointed at soft earth?
    From the way you described it, you loaded it and then applied the safety with the "muzzle up in the air".

It doesn't matter to me what caused the discharge, that is not acceptable.

If that is what happened, your bullet could have gone anywhere.

Only ever load or unload whilst pointing at the ground. If you still have issues with this advice, please take it to PM.

From the way you described it, you loaded it and then applied the safety with the "muzzle up in the air".

Only ever load or unload whilst pointing at the ground. If you still have issues with this advice, please take it to PM.
    Muzzle pointing down is not always the safest direction, it's why most rifles are shouldered when carried, a round hitting the ground will not always stop there, I have no need to take it to pm as I have nothing to hide.

I think it is acceptable , I was taught "point the muzzle down or up never across" . why carry a rifle muzzle up? do you always take the safety off or chamber a second round pointing into "nice soft ground"? I dont and i'm sure i'm not the only one on here.
    very surprising that such a reliable rifle would have such a simple fault.

Never heard of this happening before however it makes sense if the screw that holds the trigger unit loosens.
    thanks for the heads up.
    Remmy might be safer with two pins that can't fall out as long as the rifle is in the stock.
    edi