Thread: blowing the cobwebs out of the .308

blowing the cobwebs out of the .308

took the .308 blaser out to "the estate" for its first outing of the doe season..

morning stalk, going down a ride where my first ever stalk was spotted munty doe about 150 yards downhill at bottom of ride under hazels, she looked like a mouse, happened to be stood next to lowseat made from pallets and roofers felt. got set up on the bipod on the top of lowseat. hare and pheasant appeared obscuring the view of the little doe. in my "inner ear" i could hear "take your time, wait, chest shot, steady..." in my left ear i could hear "shoot it, shoot it, shoot it now"... at that point my elbow went through the felt and i had to get set up again, bugger, the hare and pheasant moved, the doe presented herself.....125gn of green tipped nosler struck home and she dropped on the spot. yearling, pregnant, no milk. job jobbed.

went to reloading sollutions (saw pete evans there) and went to adenbourne and bought a chrony.

ate at little thief - olympic breakfast, took 4 years to arrive!!

evening sit for roe doe. got sat aout at 3 ish, looking over ride where pheasants were feeding. at 4.20 a yearling roedoe stepped out, i cocked the R93, squeezed one off. she back flipped and her stomach exited with the bullet?? inspection revealed well placed shot bullet went through 4th rib, 1/3 way up which clipped heart while turning, split lung, destroyed liver and exited without splitting stomach but dragged the bag out with it. clean undamaged carcass. at very last light a foxed shiffed the corpse but left before i could shoot.

driving back to the larder we saw lots of roe.

next time there the R93 fan club will be out in force!! what this space...

Well done Bucksden - .308 out of the blocks!

(...and using a round that starts the gralloch for you is even better!! That's some innovation!!)

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    bucksden

Did I not tell you that those 125gr BT's are designed to be self-gralloching

willie_gunn

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn
    bucksden

Did I not tell you that those 125gr BT's are designed to be self-gralloching

willie_gunn
    an amazing bullet - and bloody good value if you buy them from the right place

my old reloading mentor said once "slow the bullet down, let it spend some time in the beast to do its job" i think i might introduce him to the delights of the green tipped rockets

Re: blowing the cobwebs out of the .308

[quote="bucksden"]took the .308 blaser out to "the estate" for its first outing of the doe season..

went to reloading sollutions (saw pete evans there) and went to adenbourne and bought a chrony.

dont go to adenbourne if your in a hurry, once bruce gets talking to you it could take all day
    i've started to go to lovels more these days and reloading solutions.

I walked into adenbourne's about two years ago to buy a new .308 set up.

Spent 1/2 hours in there (admittedly was dressed in work attire - trousers/shirt/shoes etc) and after 10 minutes stood at the counter hearing how the bloke had shot this and another had shot that, a guy (youngish) came round to talk to me - he looked me up and down and said what are you selling? Buying i said and laughed and explained what i wanted.

I was after a new Remmi/Browning/Tik and after a lot of second hand guns we got looking at Greener's and i left with a Greener.

Doh!

Tom - It was like a scene form the two Ronnies..