Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ***well well what have we here sir ***

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

***well well what have we here sir ***

Hi All.

I have been involved in some excavating/digging of late,(well overseeing it done that is) and the special people that do this have found these.?

I also have this week found 5 more 50 cals on a belt 2 and a 3, and one very small round (pictures on monday.before they get handed in) the small round is not something we have seen before and i can not risk cleaning it as it could well be unstable.

PLEASE NOTE: these rounds have all been legally disposed off and the latest ones photos will be ready on Monday.

the 2 on the left are 50 cal and the centre one is a 20 mm with a steel round ? so not sure what it was used for, the 3rd one is also from a belt of ammo but again we were unable to locate any info as its too unstable to be cleaned up,

the ammo has been in the ground from may 1945 until the last few days,

thanks to Paul 'o for his help in the new 50 cal brass for the display that will be made later this year.

regards

bob.

INFO:

they are from the uk based us forces of that time so the 50 cal is as it was then and is now,

the 20mm we have no idea of thats job in life,

and the small metal belted round is ?

I can't say too much but we will be working on this loads more in the next few weeks as there is now a team of 3 guys and they are as keen as mustard to find out if there are more about the same area.
    Last edited by bobjs; 28-09-2013 at 12:33.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Got any dimensions on the small one? It looks a lot like a .303 in the remains of a belt (aircraft use perhaps?)

I think the later model spitfire had two 20mm cannons...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan_Terrier View Post
    Got any dimensions on the small one? It looks a lot like a .303 in the remains of a belt (aircraft use perhaps?)
    could be right. but did the yanks use 303 ?

tom,

this was all found from a us aircraft.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

I know that the USAAF's 4th Fighter Squadron were armed with Spitfires until 1943, and there's also an interesting film on Youtube of USAAF Spitfires.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    Hi All.

I have been involved in some excavating/digging of late,(well overseeing it done that is) and the special people that do this have found these.?

I also have this week found 5 more 50 cals on a belt 2 and a 3, and one very small round (pictures on monday.before they get handed in) the small round is not something we have seen before and i can not risk cleaning it as it could well be unstable.

PLEASE NOTE: these rounds have all been legally disposed off and the latest ones photos will be ready on Monday.

the 2 on the left are 50 cal and the centre one is a 20 mm with a steel round ? so not sure what it was used for, the 3rd one is also from a belt of ammo but again we were unable to locate any info as its too unstable to be cleaned up,

the ammo has been in the ground from may 1945 until the last few days,

thanks to Paul 'o for his help in the new 50 cal brass for the display that will be made later this year.

regards

bob.

INFO:

they are from the uk based us forces of that time so the 50 cal is as it was then and is now,

the 20mm we have no idea of thats job in life,

and the small metal belted round is ?

I can't say too much but we will be working on this loads more in the next few weeks as there is now a team of 3 guys and they are as keen as mustard to find out if there are more about the same area.

Watch yourself around the 20mm Robert, they were more often than not explosive tipped.

Me and my dad spent Many Many hours metal detecting on WW2 crash sites, and we were going over the site of a Bristol Beaufighter that had crashed and burned. Found 62 of those 20mm tips, and there's me as an 8-9 year old cleaning them up.

One of them starts hissing, never forget it, cast it straight into a pond, a plop followed by an awful lot of bubbles comes up from the depths.....

​ That other one is most definitely .303, look at the rim
    Last edited by digger9523; 28-09-2013 at 16:22.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

As a kid we found a few boxes of them 20mm heads in a scrap yard in the 80s there were hundreds of them scrap yard was next to a rail yard which was used during the war,

Blog Entries
    cheers lads

i think the 303 is correct, as for the 20mm when they came to take it away they said the team have to be very carfull when they find them,

the aircraft type is know but i am not permitted to say, its not far from salisbury but thats all i am allowed to mention at this time.

bob.

Quote Originally Posted by digger9523 View Post
    Watch yourself around the 20mm Robert, they were more often than not explosive tipped.

Me and my dad spent Many Many hours metal detecting on WW2 crash sites, and we were going over the site of a Bristol Beufighter that had crashed and burned. Found 62 of those 20mm tips, and there's me as an 8-9 year old cleaning them up.
    One of them starts hissing, never forget it, cast it straight into a pond, a plop followed by an awful lot of bubbles comes up from the depths.....

​ That other one is most definitely .303, look at the rim
    Sounds like white phosphorous.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Blog Entries
    I would love to have a inert 20mm as with the 50 cal it would be nice to have all the calibres we have found on the same display.

bob.