Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: 6.5x55 and Vit powders

  1. #1

    6.5x55 and Vit powders

    Hi need some help. Want to load 120gr for the swede. I would like to use vit N160. Vits on line data has two set for the 120gr one with a max at 45.7 the other with a starting load of 45.8!!
    is this because of the old rifle/new rifle issue and one is set at lower pressures? I will be loading for a new Tikka T3 so am I ok to load the higher loads starting at 45.8? Could I use 260rem data at a push?
    thanks for your help

    ​BE

  2. #2
    You're using a modern rifle, so commercial load data should be used. I'm currently trying to develop a load for the 120gn Nosler BT and at around 48.5 to 50.2gns using Vit. N160.
    49.2gns Vit N160 looked promising, with 50.2 appearing as though it might be better.....too early for me to comment properly about that right now.

    How well a 120gn bullet may work in your rifle can easily depend on the twist in your barrel. Mine is 1-9 1/2.......but a Sako Finnlite a friend has is 1-8 and 140gn bullets work better in his rifle than 120's.
    ​ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

  3. #3
    hi big ears I load vit 160 44grs pushing a 140grn sierra gameking at 2660ftps out of my sako 6.5/55 85 finnlite clover leaf groups good for fallow and munties if this load suits your rifle it will cause less meat damage than the 120s

  4. #4
    I have 50.7 grains of N160 behind my Nosler 120gr ammo and 46.7 behind the 140gr SSTs...

    Both group well, but I've settled on the 140gr as my "do all" ammo traveling at a chrono'd 2,660fps
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ckwoodland View Post
    hi big ears I load vit 160 44grs pushing a 140grn sierra gameking at 2660ftps out of my sako 6.5/55 85 finnlite clover leaf groups good for fallow and munties if this load suits your rifle it will cause less meat damage than the 120s
    Why will 120 cause more damage is it related to velocity?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    You're using a modern rifle, so commercial load data should be used. I'm currently trying to develop a load for the 120gn Nosler BT and at around 48.5 to 50.2gns using Vit. N160.
    49.2gns Vit N160 looked promising, with 50.2 appearing as though it might be better.....too early for me to comment properly about that right now.

    How well a 120gn bullet may work in your rifle can easily depend on the twist in your barrel. Mine is 1-9 1/2.......but a Sako Finnlite a friend has is 1-8 and 140gn bullets work better in his rifle than 120's.
    ​ATB
    Twist is 1:8 so thanks for the heads up. I have tried factory 120gr Norma/Nosler and they group at about 1.25" which is OK but thought I could do better with home loads. From what you say I may not so will give it a go but not persevere too hard if it doesn't work out.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Twist is 1:8 so thanks for the heads up. I have tried factory 120gr Norma/Nosler and they group at about 1.25" which is OK but thought I could do better with home loads. From what you say I may not so will give it a go but not persevere too hard if it doesn't work out.
    If you have the kit to load your own, then do go for it. You will ultimately do better in closing up your groups...however, what you have isn't so bad. You'd certainly be able to shoot deer. I've just been trying some factory Hornady 140 SST's and they show a similar group size, but reloaded 140 SST's will shoot to at least .700"
    or better ​and that is good enough to give confidence for a longer shot should it become necessary to take one. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

  8. #8
    Thanks for that advice it would be good to try and get the 120's working. Intrigued that they may cause more carcass damage than 140. Not sure why this should happen and whether it is enough to worry about.

  9. #9
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Sharrow N Yorks
    Posts
    109
    44-46gr here on 120 & 139gr fmj , give a sub 1" group to 100yds

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Thanks for that advice it would be good to try and get the 120's working. Intrigued that they may cause more carcass damage than 140. Not sure why this should happen and whether it is enough to worry about.

    Meat damage has no relation to bullet weight. It has everything to do with bullet make-up, terminal velocity and what it hits!. I'll be reading this thread with interest as I will be loading for 6.5 soon.

Similar Threads

  1. Vit N 560
    By nuttyspaniel in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 13-10-2013, 21:03
  2. Vit powders and 260rem
    By big ears in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-09-2013, 12:17
  3. 6.5x55 -140 grain powders
    By chickenman in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 15-05-2012, 20:23
  4. vit n140
    By ndt man in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 12:47
  5. Help with .375 h&h data for vit powders
    By Paul at Fechan in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 20:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •