Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need the help of a pc whiz.

I need the help of a pc whiz.

About 20 years ago i wrote a childrens story. Initially there was the origional written copy and a disc which had bounced around with me where ever i lived until the origional was lost in a fire but thankfully i still have the disc.
    I now have grandchildren and it`s made me think more and more about my book just sitting there on a disc.
    The chances of getting it noticed are next to zero but i`d like to have a written copy again but the problem is the disc i think is an apple disc?
    This means i haven`t got a clue what i`m doing with the disc or the pc so can anyone help or advise?
    Bear in mind, you could reading one of the novels of the decade.
    Thanks.
    basil.

What kind of disk is it on? Is it a 3.5" or 5 1/4" type floppy disk? Also, what software was used to write/save it?

It should be technically possible to recover the text IF (and this is a big if!) the floppy disk is still readable. I'm sorry to say that floppy disks were never particularly robust for long term storage, so depending on the condition in which it has been stored, damp/dry, proximity to magnetic/electromagnetic fields etc it may or may not be readable.

Alex

Hi Bas

It should open and run on Apple Mac or PC. Most programs these days will happily switch between the two platforms/architectures so you should be able to view, print and save albeit in a newer/up to date program.

What program was it originally constructed in ?

I'm a mac man and have been since 1986. If you want help with a Mac just tell me.

Only drongos run pc's these days

Rocky

Hi basil

Sorry if this is a double reply! I use a Linux machine, and have generally been able to access most file types. If you want me to have a look at your files, drop me a pm and I'll send you an e-mail address. If they're on a floppy the file(s) won't be that large!.

HTH

Andrew

All i can tell you is that the black bit on the front has MF 2HD maxell on it.
    It`s that long ago and me being pc illiterate i haven`t a clue about the disc.

basil.

OK, it's not a 5 1/4 inch floppy, which is good - there's a good chance of reading that disc. If your PC has a 3 1/2 inch drive, can you post a list of the files on the disc?

Andrew

That's a 3.5" 1.44mb floppy, all you can do is try it. Floppies are fickle things, they can be unreadable in one drive and ok in another. If you are anywhere near me (Bristol) I'd be glad to try it for you in the 3.5" drives I have. I have software capable of recovering data if it's there to be recovered however, as I said before, floppies were notorious for their short lifespan so there is a fairly high chance it will have degraded over time, especially as we are talking 20 years.

Alex

Hi Bas

It's an old 3 1/2 floppy. Not a CD etc. You would need a compatible reader to access the files.

I think this might be Andrew's forte

Rocky

Hi Bas

It's an old 3 1/2 floppy. Not a CD etc. You would need a compatible reader to access the files.

I think this might be Andrew's forte

Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by csl
    That's a 3.5" 1.44mb floppy, all you can do is try it. Floppies are fickle things, they can be unreadable in one drive and ok in another. If you are anywhere near me (Bristol) I'd be glad to try it for you in the 3.5" drives I have. I have software capable of recovering data if it's there to be recovered however, as I said before, floppies were notorious for their short lifespan so there is a fairly high chance it will have degraded over time, especially as we are talking 20 years.

Alex
    Alex, i live in Bridgwater. Can i post it to you for you to have a look please? I`m more than happy to pay for your time and effort, it`ll be worth it for my grandchildren.
    basil.