Thread: sika deer where do they go ??????

sika deer where do they go ??????

Yesterday i spent the whole day in the wicklow mountains.we arrived at noon and got into postiin about 200 yards from the wood.the wind was up a little but in our favor.we gave a couple of calls on the caller.but got no reply.it wasnt until 7:30 a pricket came out from behind a bank.light was fading fast but a neck shot put him down.my question is where do the deer go all day.we glassed every few mins to see if anything came out of the wood but nothing.surely they dont lay up all day long chewing the cud ?????
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

They stay under the canopy only venturing out onto the rides in the Forrest to feed, then back in again.

They can also be found in thick gorse.

Their reading the SD policy on new members posting an intro

Quote Originally Posted by marlin.270 View Post
    Yesterday i spent the whole day in the wicklow mountains.we arrived at noon and got into postiin about 200 yards from the wood.the wind was up a little but in our favor.we gave a couple of calls on the caller.but got no reply.it wasnt until 7:30 a pricket came out from behind a bank.light was fading fast but a neck shot put him down.my question is where do the deer go all day.we glassed every few mins to see if anything came out of the wood but nothing.surely they dont lay up all day long chewing the cud ?????
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Wot you ain't told us , is wot your experience or what the situ is in the area you are stalking
    sika are not stupid
    think about it
    they are a deer that are on the ball

plenty of deer in wicklow you are in a pre rut atm the better stags are bulking up on feed i watched a private forestery this evening spotted 5 stags just feeding hard . One tip i would give vyou do not use the caller till the rut starts no point in making them wise to the call i did hear a lad blowing a caller this evening worst one i heard in a long time

Any Oak trees around them thar hills?
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

they were probably law abiding deer and realised the call was an illegal one so ignored it
    a barony original

Quote Originally Posted by Grant.N View Post