Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you consider essential stalking equipment

What do you consider essential stalking equipment

I'm brand new to stalking and am just starting to accrue the necessary kit. I have the clothing, rifle and knife. I'm looking at a few pairs of binos at the moment. I have a stalking trip arranged for November which will be in mainly forestry. I'd be interested/grateful to hear of what additional pieces of equipment you chaps put in your pockets/back packs etc to make life easier whilst stalking. Any advice on anything that I can make or acquire to make my introduction to stalking would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    I'm brand new to stalking and am just starting to accrue the necessary kit. I have the clothing, rifle and knife. I'm looking at a few pairs of binos at the moment. I have a stalking trip arranged for November which will be in mainly forestry. I'd be interested/grateful to hear of what additional pieces of equipment you chaps put in your pockets/back packs etc to make life easier whilst stalking. Any advice on anything that I can make or acquire to make my introduction to stalking would be greatly appreciated.

You'll be fine with what you've got and your Elf eyes are far superior to any binos that exist mate.

​ But if you want to be successful, tell the dwarf and the lanky bloke to take off their rattly armour before you go out.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Plenty of range work to begin with and plenty patience. But saftey at all times. The only way to learn is by doing, try John at YDS in east Yorks you will not go wrong with him.

Experience/ boots in the dirt counts for far more than any kit. It is very hard to resist the kit monster - but look at the bun fights that prevail on here regards 'my kit versus your kit' etc etc. There are a few hard and fast truths, but for the most part kit is a very personal and subjective thing.

You dont want to ruin or make unnecessarily unpleasant a paid outing, but it is by being out that you build the best idea of what works for you. It doesnt have to be on a paid stalk and afternoon forest walk is never wasted time.

Work on personal skills - skill tends to ace gear. If you build from the ground up, then good kit will suggest itself and you will get the most from it.

Never, ever believe anyone who states there is only one way/ gadget to do/for something. They are invariably wrong - and in direct proportion to how loudly they shout their stance - and often rubbish other views!

Good glass is never a wasted investment. Price or brands aside, if you want to use your glass constantly and a year on from getting it still find yourself marvelling at the image you 'done good'. That can be a balancing act between price, size, weight and quality. I've not looked through every optic out there, but quite a few. Sub 400 new only Vortex and Minox have come close for me - others may have different views.

Most Countrymen make use of a stick - there's a reason for that. Do not spend more than 5 on any stick until you try various styles and see what works for you. Start with a length or two of hazel, some bamboo, broom handle etc. As with optics, a great stick will get constant use and be a joy to have with you. Uses will suggest themselves time and time again. Again a personal view, but I have not yet found any stick system incorporating numerous adjustable joints, triggers, swivels etc that provide a joy factor. Simple still seems better.

Get your feet comfy and keep your core/ body at a comfy temperature - and everything else is secondary. Socks are really boring, but I see more clients suffer from poor socks than all other items of gear combined. Followed closely by being too hot/ cold up top. Very much a personal thing, but good wool 'mysteriously' seems to keep figuring in my top choices. Become a friend of your local BHF/ SHELTER etc etc charity shop.

Living up to my reputation - I have to mention First Aid & Rescue kit. Nothing that comes as a kit from Asda/ Tesco et al for 3.99 will prove of much use - and neither will a 299.99 'Special Ninja Forces as used in Iraq Mega Doom Z2000 Super Trauma Kit'. 10-15 astutely spent after a relaxed evening on Google will see you right.

Finally ALWAYS be wary of people pretending to help when really they are just jealous of your long hair and archery skills...
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Don't forget your T-Roll that,s one essential, you would'nt want to get caught short..!

IMO keep it simple, the more your out and about the more you'll learn.
    As you have the basics clothing, rifle, knife,etc. once you get your
    binoculars and a stick or sticks your sorted. (7x or 8x more than adequate)
    No doubt in time you'll gather a multitude of accessories, more than half
    of which you'll never use !

Atb, Buck.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 29-09-2013 at 12:58.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

The Stalking Directory...all the experience when you need it.

Good boots, good glass, good knife and a rifle you're comfortable with. Get out and learn your fieldcraft.

I thought bow hunting was illegal in the uk

Good post . I will suggest what works for me.in order of importance

Binoculars good quality if you want your eyes to focus later on in life. Low mag reasonable objective. 7x 40 8 x 40 7x50 Get much more mag or a wider field of view and the weight and steadinest will become a real problem . Clothes are next for me Boots i have mendial boots and wellingtons and for my ground its welly, 90% of the time most of my stalking is on wet ground. Socks i use long over the knee sock Harkila i find my feet do not over heat in them. Breeks Tweed you will always get wet crawling ing into deer and i find tweed drys very quickly. I have tried all the so called waterproof kit and it always seems to let you down and is a ******* to get dry. I have a thin lightweight tee shirt and a pure wool jumper over it topped by tweed coat loose fit. I don't normally wear a hat but as my hair get thinner with age i am looking at getting one (Offers must be German ).
    Rifle ammo etc thats a personal choice must be accurate and consistent dont put up with some a gun that don't shoot just because you bought it make sure you have full confidence in all your kit.

A good pair of binoculars theirs good pair for sale in optics 8x30 sworovski slc

PaulT - there' s a specific exemption under S45 b (ii) - sol ong as you can lose 20 arrows in 8 seconds whilst sliding down a staircase on a shield whilst fighting off Orcs and you have 50,000 witnesses then no UK legislation applies to you...

6P - fan of Harkila socks here too.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017