Lost a Parker Hale Bolt - So What's the Cost?

roe steak

My mate has lost his bolt for a Parker Hale .308 and metal detectors where he shot last and turning his house inside hasn't helped. It's gone so a hard lesson learned for him.

He likes his rifle but I guessed to remake a bolt for the rifle would be a few hundred quid with the making, fitting and proofing?

Anyone know anything about this or is the rifle just a write off?

Making a replacement bolt would probably cost a small fortune...

I think Norman Clark bought up the remaining Parker Hale spares, so I'd try contacting them and see how far you get. I'm guessing it would probably still need fitting (and proof if you plan to sell).

Years ago I lost a bolt for a 595 Tikka :oops: cost me £150 for a replacement, plus I had to get the head space checked and rifle re-proofed.

Unless your mate can get a bolt from Norman Clark cheap, it might be better to pick up another P/H they are cheap enough.

I informed my FLO, thought I might get some grief :rolleyes: , but he was fine about it. :D

ATB

Tahr

Have a word with Bill at Norman Clark Gunsmiths - he is 'the man' when it comes to PH rifles (he might even have built the rifle in question!). It's also worth talking to Andy Banner at UK Custom Shop in Droitwich, as he's a mine of information about PH rifles too and has all sorts of goodies salted away in his workshop...

Adam.

Thanks guys, so it looks like in any case the bolt would be a few hundred pounds to sort but the good news.....

it's not my rifle ;)

No! Ring around some of the better long established places like Joe Beatham at Gunshop Barnet or Fulton's and you will be surprised what they have and have not.

Is it just a plain Jane Mauser 98 action bolt (try a pals bolt in it)? I did see the PH factory then located behind Armoury Road Birmingham in the nineteen-sixties and they had just a small bulding and not looking up to the full production of rifles, so I feel it may be a reworked military K98 system with a PH stamp and they are pretty easy items to find here in Germany.

Thanks guys, I'm ringing round :(

This is getting interesting!!!

So the PH actions are just JM 98's. Anyone got a spare one!?

Try the next Holts Sale in London. Parker Hale Rifles are always coming up in their Auctions and dont cost a lot of money. They mostly come up in their sealed Bid auctions. Check out their website

Holts Auctioneers from Norfolk ( Sales in London) Buy another PH rifle for the bolt

I assume that your mate has checked that his house contents insurance won't cover this? He may be pleasantly supprised. I have seen tatty PH rifles sell at auction for a pound and I have seen five ot six similar lots lumped together and sold for a tenner just to get on with the sale! A mate of mine once lost the bolt of his Sako Finnbear .270 (a rifle which I later bought from him, shot hundreds of wild deer with then had rebarreled into .243 and shot at least 1000 park deer with before selling it on) He bought a new bolt from Sako which had to be custom fitted and cost, if I recall correctly, about £400. He later found the old bolt in the back of a vehicle buried in junk and nitrogen fertiliser which had caused it to rust away to about 3/4 of its original dimentions. JC

I can only describe my mate as a big plank. In a nice way of course and we have hunted for it believe me. I'll ask him about his contents and see what the story is, cheers JC

So Bill at Norman Clark Gunsmiths is the man to sort it but I've to hear back from him about how 'interchangable' PH bolts are. It sounds like a spare bolt will fit in no problem but the headspace has to be right or it needs work done which is mega bucks.

Have just checked and there are at least 10 parker hale rifles in the next Holts sealed bid sale. The catalogues are on line on their website

Lakey

Back