Thread: Training your Dog

Training your Dog

You get your pup , you get him checked out , you build him a kennel and run , you feed him , you get him toys to keep him busy , more jags , walk him 3 times a day,give him more cuddles than the wife gets , and you train him to sit /stay/walk on and point hoping one day it will be worth it - but wait a minute did you train him not to rip and chew and demolish the rear of your jeep when you leave him for 2 minutes to open a gate? . I wonder how many vehicles have been raped by a innocent pup.

Ain't it the truth. My latest Labrador (well-adjusted, family orientated, calm dogs, Labradors) decided as a puppy that the thing to do was to chew his way through walls! Still, I think my patching up with a bit of filler would have been cheaper than car innards. Console yourself with the fact that he'll settle down, sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    Ain't it the truth. My latest Labrador (well-adjusted, family orientated, calm dogs, Labradors) decided as a puppy that the thing to do was to chew his way through walls! Still, I think my patching up with a bit of filler would have been cheaper than car innards. Console yourself with the fact that he'll settle down, sooner or later.
    Am gutted I only got rid of ma spares about 2 months ago and the fact I had a spare leather rear seat grinds on me, a new he was a bit agitated and could see him jumping around but thought he was excited, when a opened the back door it was like a bomb had went of, a was even thinking about getting another vehicle quite soon but a can see a dog cage being purchased first

Been there done that......my young dog chewed thru three seat belts which cost 200 to replace and another 200 to get a dog cage built to fit the back of the car....however he has turned out to be the best gundog I have had so far...

Mulac

i have a 9month old pointer that has a thing against controls on stalks wipers radio all chewed out ,still not as bad as a newish landrover i saw in a car park with two brindled long dogs in, totaly trashing the seats roof trimm and one had started on the dash the alarm was sending them hiper ,i had to pick up one of the grandchildren i would have loved to have been able to stay to see the owners return.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce w View Post
    i have a 9month old pointer that has a thing against controls on stalks wipers radio all chewed out ,still not as bad as a newish landrover i saw in a car park with two brindled long dogs in, totaly trashing the seats roof trimm and one had started on the dash the alarm was sending them hiper ,i had to pick up one of the grandchildren i would have loved to have been able to stay to see the owners return.
    Same here weimaraner as a pup left her in the hilux for 10 minutes (hilux was 2 hours out it the showroom) came back she had chewed light/indicator stalks & gear knobs.

Never had this problem due to using a crate/box when having the dogs in the car. This solves all the problems and seeing how much people have paid out for trashed interiours, the 350 I paid Lintran for a box seems pretty good value for money

I bought an expensive dog guard for my disco to keep my pup in the back where I thought he could do no damage, but I forgot about the seat belts for the rear fold down seats, both of which he chewed through.
    I decided not to replace them until the MOT was due and during that time he never touched them again. Two days before the MOT I fitted new ones, my wife suggested I remove them afterwards until next years MOT was due, "NO he wont chew them now". DUH!!! The day after it had passed we went to the NGO game fair, about an hour into the journey my wife said he's up to no good in the back, stop and have a look. GUESS WHAT, yep I now need a new rear seat belt. I hate hearing the words "I TOLD YOU SO".

Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I bought an expensive dog guard for my disco to keep my pup in the back where I thought he could do no damage, but I forgot about the seat belts for the rear fold down seats, both of which he chewed through.
    I decided not to replace them until the MOT was due and during that time he never touched them again. Two days before the MOT I fitted new ones, my wife suggested I remove them afterwards until next years MOT was due, "NO he wont chew them now". DUH!!! The day after it had passed we went to the NGO game fair, about an hour into the journey my wife said he's up to no good in the back, stop and have a look. GUESS WHAT, yep I now need a new rear seat belt. I hate hearing the words "I TOLD YOU SO".

Noah
    know what you mean, its only a week passed that a got onto my wife for putting my sons
    bmx into the back of the car {not the boot} ,weve got a leather seats in it to and a gave her a lecture on how stupid this was , guess who is the gonk now