Thread: how to confit simply? mike robinsons you tube channel idea

how to confit simply? mike robinsons you tube channel idea

hi peeps,
    been watching mike Robinsons youtube wild kitchen vids and I like them..... latest one I watched was the shooting and cooking of grouse..... wher ehe used the legs and confit them...
    never done it....wasn't sure what it is but had a quick look ala google.

so any body do it or a cheats easy way?
    I seen the hairy bikers basically low heat poach chicken in rape seed oil and apparently despite what you may think wasn't oily or the like but beautifl & tender...
    im just thinking bout chicken legs , pheasant legs duck or goose legs etc....so on & so forth

I get the day in the chiller with salt or cured but for the 5 or 6 hrs in "fat" or oil does it have to be duck fat or can you use rape seed oil or olive oil infused with garlic and other stuff?

this along with the poaching I fancy trying more of

just thinking out loud at the moment

any tips advice welcome!

paul

Hey Paul,

can you post the links to the videos?

mike's a great guy. Confiting is rather simple, just long to get the fat hot.

Cheers
    ​Orvar

heres the link to his chef page

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-IWn9_E6MrepBMnfEtjU2g

just quick " 2 parter's" 1st one usually obtaining the game and the 2nd cooking it..... bloody good little series so far ...think their bout 11 of them so far....ive done the new York style muntjac muntyballs but no munty so roe was used.... bloody good!!!

paul

Paul confit is very easy mate. My method is beatifully simple and tastey.. I love Duck legs confit. Simply salt and thyme the legs prior to poaching. About 24hrs will do. Take them out of "marninade" and wipe with a dry towel do not let water touch em. Now once this is done pop them in duck or goose fat and cook them in the oven at a very low setting until cooked "coming away from bone". They will keep for ages in the fridge as long as they are completely covered in the cooking fat. To serve remove from cold fat and carefully remove as much fat as possible. Pop them in a dish and cover with tin foil or a bit buttered paper. Once hot remove from oven and if you like pop under a hot grill until skin is crisp.

Nutty

cheers nutty looks like the ticket.....
    query for you....
    your marinade...or dry cure I take it salt and herbs of choice..... the vids I watched on the "tube" wash the salt or cure off under the tap with water then pat dry ......otherwise could be too salty?

2nd query never bought duck or goose fat in quantity .... I seen the hairy bikers "poaching" chicken pieces in rape seed oil ......might try that or try to find a supplier of said duck/goose fat.

canna wait to get home to give this a go..... can see me buying chicken pieces to experiment with coz I probably wont wait for pheasant / duck / goose ......unless I actually hit summit !!

paul

Paul,

I've done confit a good few times using lard, it's a heck of lot cheaper than duck fat, doesn't make a massive taste difference and the beauty over oil is that as with duck fat, it sets over the meat which leaves it preserved for ages until you pull them out and roast. In fact I've a load of rabbit legs in the freezer which will be getting this treatment in the next week or so.

cheers lads......stalking directory produces again!!
    will try the lard as well... always blocks off it on the go if making bird balls with the kids...
    good idea...
    couple of methods to try and different stuff to experiment with too

thanks
    paul

A medium goose at Xmas will yield 4-5 litres of fat. You can make this go further by adding some of it to lard to flavour the brew.

Confit is great making game into something special, a real delicacy. I use goose fat only because it cooks right and tastes better. Tradition has its uses. If you want cheaper goose fat, shoot a Canadian, goose that is. And render it.

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    Paul confit is very easy mate. My method is beatifully simple and tastey.. I love Duck legs confit. Simply salt and thyme the legs prior to poaching. About 24hrs will do. Take them out of "marninade" and wipe with a dry towel do not let water touch em. Now once this is done pop them in duck or goose fat and cook them in the oven at a very low setting until cooked "coming away from bone". They will keep for ages in the fridge as long as they are completely covered in the cooking fat. To serve remove from cold fat and carefully remove as much fat as possible. Pop them in a dish and cover with tin foil or a bit buttered paper. Once hot remove from oven and if you like pop under a hot grill until skin is crisp.

Nutty
    + 1 on Nutty's description. I went through a "confit" stage one winter where many of the things I subjected to a dose of lead were then poached and buried in fat only to be dug out again and baked crisp. It's a very simple but rewarding process and I found the one described by Nutty works v well.