Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: big scopes and wildcats

big scopes and wildcats

big scopes, homeloads, moderators, bipods, long barrels, and wildcats are a MUST for anyone hoping to group less than A4 paper size,,or if looking to shoot over 100yds basically.....

..or not....

being bored this weekend of not seeing any stags,,we decided to line up the empty coke cans on fence posts 300 yds away in a nice highland breeze overlooking Loch Awe and Ben Cruachan...

took them red tins down one by one with my sako 75 .243 22" Hunter, 100g federal factory SP's and a 40 year old zeiss 4x32 over a rucksack ...no misses...

accuracy nerds,,,eat my shorts

Only 5 cans count as a group.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULT View Post
    bugger, I was one short then ;-)

I am really surprised that a .243 bullet could travel three hundred yards, I know because when I asked an Austrian client to shoot a stag at one hundred and thirty yards he was adamant that he had not missed it was because I had a stupid little gun and the bullet had bounced off.

did the bullet make it right through both sides of the can or was it rattling around inside
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    I am really surprised that a .243 bullet could travel three hundred yards, I know because when I asked an Austrian client to shoot a stag at one hundred and thirty yards he was adamant that he had not missed it was because I had a stupid little gun and the bullet had bounced off.
    Bloody brilliant some folk are just mad. cheers Hootsman
    Just Shoot The F..king Thing!

Quote Originally Posted by PAULT View Post

Marine PMI and I got into a shoot at just under 700 yards with our 6.5's (No scope settings, nasty wind) and we both hit the 18" target 4 of 10 off of loose rests. After shooting I realized I'd not moved my variable 3-9x40 Leupold off of 3X. Minimal is optimal in a hunting rifle.~Muir

Just put a leupold 1.25-6 x33 on my .30-06 and the target doesn't look that different than it does through my 10x Schmidt

Got bored one weekend and put up 2 targets at 650 yards one for me and my .243 with a ziess 2-12 x 50 standard reticle. and one for my mate who has a 222-250 and a fancy all singing and dancing night force scope with turrets and milldot reticle and anything else you could squeeze into a scope, best of 6 shots wins I missed my first shot then all bang on after that he took 3 shots missed all hit with the 4th then missed the last 2, who says you need a fancy scope!