Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a rifle around an unused Mannlicher-Schoenauer action

Building a rifle around an unused Mannlicher-Schoenauer action

Hello everyone.

I spotted this Mannlicher-Schoenauer action on a French website and it made me wonder how one would go about building a rifle around it.

http://www.naturabuy.fr/boitier-STEY...m-1415463.html

Apparently this action has never been used, itís been sitting around someoneís workshop, and so needs a bit of polishing and so on. Assuming that the action was sound, how would you technically and legally go about using it. For a start, presumably I couldnít easily buy this and bring it back to the UK as I suppose it counts as a firearm. Or perhaps it doesnít, Iím not sure, since thereís no barrel. Assuming you could work out the legal acquisition of this action, how would I go about adding a barrel to it, and then the really difficult and expensive bit, a stock?

I imagine youíd be looking at spending a vast amount of money on this and that it wouldnít make any financial sense.

Iím sure thereís a raft of experience on here on this sort of project.

I am not and expert on MS actions but I also had one lying about my bench for 25 years waiting for a project. I finally gave it away. Not that they aren't nice actions but the original military actions in 6.5x54MS are tough to rework. It's not the far-from-standard bolt face, it's the magazine spool. Not a lot will fit. I think I narrowed it to 30 Remington and it's variants. (32 Remington, 25 Remington, 35 Remington)

That said, if that action is something other than 6.5 then the options are open.~Muir

There seem to be a lot in France that have been rechambered for 6.5x57, presumably because until last month, the 6.5x54MS cartridge was illegal for hunting as it was a military one. The same goes for the 6.5x55 Swedish.
    Last edited by Pine Marten; 30-09-2013 at 12:28.

Hi
    You may want to factor in the proof situation for the action - it may be acceptable over here but if not will need to go through the system - either as action only or following completion of the project. Custom build Gunsmiths should be able to provide food for thought.

In years gone by I recall a potential 'action' failing.

L

Does the action on its own legally constitute a firearm?

Yes. Its a "pressure" component.

K

The Schoenauer action has a very slow lock time and as others have said the magazine is an issue in terms of changing calibre. It wont be simple project!

The M-S actions are very slick, but after watching a friend do a build on one, I wouldn't want to try it myself. As Muir pointed out, the rotary magazine really limits your choice of cartridges and it would be an expensive project.Doing a build should be a fun and enjoyable experience, if it were me, I'd choose an action that gives you more options as to caliber, scope mounting, etc. I love the classics myself, maybe take a look at a nice commercial Mauser 98 like an FN or a number of others. IMHO I think everyone should have at least one rifle thats built just for them......... or in my case,alot lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Hello everyone.

I spotted this Mannlicher-Schoenauer action on a French website and it made me wonder how one would go about building a rifle around it.

http://www.naturabuy.fr/boitier-STEY...m-1415463.html

Apparently this action has never been used, it’s been sitting around someone’s workshop, and so needs a bit of polishing and so on. Assuming that the action was sound, how would you technically and legally go about using it. For a start, presumably I couldn’t easily buy this and bring it back to the UK as I suppose it counts as a firearm. Or perhaps it doesn’t, I’m not sure, since there’s no barrel. Assuming you could work out the legal acquisition of this action, how would I go about adding a barrel to it, and then the really difficult and expensive bit, a stock?

I imagine you’d be looking at spending a vast amount of money on this and that it wouldn’t make any financial sense.

I’m sure there’s a raft of experience on here on this sort of project.
    A friend who is an RFD has got a whole collection of Mannlichers including a very nice he had built as a custom rifle in 22-250. It is a lovely little thing - a real gentleman Roe stalking rifle. Many of the top British makers used to build rifles around the Mannlicher actions, or more probably barrelled actions. Most were built in 6.5x54 Mannlicher, but other cartridges such as the 7x57, 7x64 and 270 and 9.3x57 win were also chambered. The magazines are wonderful, but quite specific to a particular cartridge. Go to nitroexpress.com and there is whole forum on these rifles.