Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Update My FAC With Purchases?

How Do I Update My FAC With Purchases?

In the process of purchasing my first ever rifle. This is being done at a distance with the rifle coming to a third party RFD for inspection. I'll then send the money and the rifle will be released when the RFD gets confirmation of the payment.

Now my FAC says on page 3 - "Instructions to anybody who sells...firearms....to the holder of this certificate." "If you are selling a firearm which will be posted to another dealer for the buyer to collect in person you should complete this table and notify the police. The dealer who actually hands over the firearm should not complete the table or notify the police."

So....how does someone I'm not meeting enter details on my certificate...? I'm surely not meant to send him my FAC am I?

Do I then send my FAC back to the police for update or do they issue a new version?

The firearms dealer you are collecting the rifle from will update your certificate but you still have to inform your local constabulary.

Toxster,

That's a new one on me. Why not call your firearms department and ask them what they would like you to do? After all, it's them that will be handling the paperwork.

​Stan

Quote Originally Posted by daw View Post
    The firearms dealer you are collecting the rifle from will update your certificate but you still have to inform your local constabulary.
    You would think so, but it explicitly says they shouldn't.... Will have to ask my FEO as suggested.

"So....how does someone I'm not meeting enter details on my certificate...? I'm surely not meant to send him my FAC am I?"

Yes, to comply fully with the guidance you send the FAC to the seller who then enters the details and sends it back to you. The rifle then goes to your local RFD. Your local RFD checks that's it's on your FAC and releases the rifle to you in person.

It does sound a little daft but this is how many police forces insist that it be done (Norfolk being one of them). Other forces are happy that the rifle goes to your local RFD as a dealer to dealer transfer, then the local dealer does the paperwork with your FAC and does the notification.

I can't see any advantage in doing it the official way, perhaps the revised guidance sections being published now may change things.

Quote Originally Posted by M275 View Post
    ...Yes, to comply fully with the guidance you send the FAC to the seller who then enters the details and sends it back to you. The rifle then goes to your local RFD. Your local RFD checks that's it's on your FAC and releases the rifle to you in person...
    Certainly seems that way. So basically I am using a third party RFD as I have no established trust with someone I've just contacted on the internet...I'm then meant to send this stranger my FAC...
    Last edited by Toxster; 30-09-2013 at 20:32.

You should listen to daw.
    When the sellr hands the rifle over to His RFD it gets entered on to that RFD books. The rifle will be then sent to your RFD as he will be accepting it it will be on his records.
    So quite simply he enters it onto your FAC you then inform your Firearms dept that you bought the rifle from him simples. You do not send your FAC in the post to anyone.

This is how it works done it several times as buyer and seller.
    ATB Multiman

The seller is an RFD, so is covered by the term "another dealer." That said, I'm sure you're right and this is how it will happen.

Toxster,

Just looked at your OP and at the time you check the rifle physically you will not have purchased it.

If you choose to purchase it then take the lead from the RFD who will be holding it and, once paid for to the original vendor, hand it over to you.

I suspect the RFD and you will be in the same area so he should know how local plod operate.

​Stan

I just checked that new guidance doc - very interesting as it states that the firearm is disposed of when it is transferred to the final RFD. So yes, the final RFD will add it. Strange situation when the certificate's wording contradicts the guidance, but I'm happy.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...rictions_5.PDF

section 5.17