Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a Steyr...?

Should I buy a Steyr...?

Well then chaps: I'm meeting my FEO on Monday next and from the way he talks about "getting me off his list" and me "needing my ticket" I'm not expecting problems.

Whilst awaiting the bureaucracy to complete, I've done a bit of re-thinking regarding kit with very much appreciated advice from and conversation with one or two members here and re-thought some of what I want to do. Because of that, I think I'm pretty much ready for you all to [comment / express difference of opinion / take the piss / flame me] regarding the kit I describe below.

I've found and viewed a second-hand Steyr Luxus in .308 in what seems to be good condition. It's one of the older models, but it looks well cared for. It's nice and light, with attractive wood and a good high cheekpiece which should fit well. It comes with a Pecar 4-10x45 scope mounted, two magazines and sling and is priced at a bit less than 1000. On the basis of what I've learnt since I last made a post like this, I think that's reasonable, but I'd welcome some comments on whether it's a good deal or not.

Now the downsides: I'll want to put an AES (or other reasonably effective) moderator on there, which means getting it screw-cut and potentially losing the front ironsight, though I understand that can be re-set further up the barrel by a competent gunsmith. I had planned for an over-barrel moderator, so perhaps just having it taken off and leaving it is a better plan. Still, whatever I do, this will be extra cost on an already very stretched budget.

Second, I was also under the impression that the scope mounts were the "swing-off" type which would allow me to convert the rifle from scoped for deer to ironsights for boar without faffing or losing zero. Unfortunately, I appear to have got the two Steyr rifles I looked at on Saturday mixed up and this one doesn't have that feature. I look for versatility in all of my tools, guns or otherwise, so I was a bit disappointed when the dealer disabused me of the impression on the telephone earlier today and it does make me like the rifle slightly less.

The third "downside": whilst I can probably stretch to paying for moderator and gunsmith / re-proofing (may skip that last bit until I have more money, as I intend to keep the rifle long-term), there would be no money left to buy any reloading kit, which I was very much looking forward to getting into. I can probably cope without doing this for a bit whilst I save up the money for the required bits / pieces, but I was relying on it to satisfy my shooting interest a bit when I'm not actually out hunting, so - knowing how much enjoyment I'll get out of it when I start - it's hard to give up on the idea without careful thought.

Still - there we are. Comments on any or all of that are welcome. I've got 'til Saturday to decide whether to put a deposit down on the gun. I'm going for second look on Sat morning until which time RFD will hold it for me, but I can't ask him to hold it longer just so I can dither about it. It does look like a good deal of gun and scope for a reasonable amount of money though, so feel free to encourage or dissuade me.

Adam.

I love older Mannlicher rifles, but would not pay 1000 for the combo you described. I would also not cut it..

Quote Originally Posted by glogin View Post
    I love older Mannlicher rifles, but would not pay 1000 for the combo you described. I would also not cut it..
    I agree. I wouldn't worry too much about the dealer not holding it for you, I think he will have that on the shelf for a while. By the time you have bought a moderator, had it threaded and reproofed and had the foresite refitted and regulated you will be looking at a very expensive setup. Everyone wants to go out and buy toys as soon as your FAC hits the doormat, thats only human nature, but if I was you I would bide my time and wait for a .308 set up comes up on here or guntrader, maybe even do a wanted add, see what people have?

A secondhand Steyr shouldn't cost you more than 500 or 600 pounds, no matter how well it has been looked after. You will get more bang for your buck by looking elsewhere !

I wouldn't worry about a moderator unless it is part of a condition for where you shoot. A rifle is far better balanced without one. I wouldn't put a thread on a nice old rifle like a luxus. There are some that have been tastefully done with invisible thread protectors though. With the rifle and a Pecar scope in good nick I guess the dealer could justify 750 - 850 but the market is slow at the moment so you will pick up deals if you wait for one to come along.

If it's in goood condition it's a lovely rifle, but as others have said, don't ruin it with a moderator....

To be honest pretty much every secondhand rifle I've ever seen in a shop has been overpriced, I don't mean any disrespect to the dealers, I know they have to make a living. The bottom line is this, there aren't any bargains anymore unless its between mates helping each other out. Lets face it, you aren't going to find a rifle at a boot fair!

I'm trying to sell a couple of firearms at the moment and its tough to know whether to cut the price to get them gone and lose a load of money or stick to the price that I think they are worth but stand a good chance of not selling them. I suppose thats just the nature of buying and selling.

The only firearms that tend to be bargains are custom jobs built for one person but then sold on when that person hits hard times, even then its only a bargain if it's exactly what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    To be honest pretty much every secondhand rifle I've ever seen in a shop has been overpriced, I don't mean any disrespect to the dealers, I know they have to make a living. The bottom line is this, there aren't any bargains anymore unless its between mates helping each other out. Lets face it, you aren't going to find a rifle at a boot fair!

I'm trying to sell a couple of firearms at the moment and its tough to know whether to cut the price to get them gone and lose a load of money or stick to the price that I think they are worth but stand a good chance of not selling them. I suppose thats just the nature of buying and selling.

The only firearms that tend to be bargains are custom jobs built for one person but then sold on when that person hits hard times, even then its only a bargain if it's exactly what you want.
    So you're basically saying that unless I buy privately, I'm going to have to pay a premium regardless? Would any of the friendly "trade members" be willing to offer a view on this?

Also, just so I have an idea, could anyone comment as to where the Pecar scopes come in the hierarchy of Zeiss / Swaro' etc. down through to Deben / Hawke? I'd like to know what they might be considered comparable to, as I'd not heard of them before I saw this rifle.

Thanks for all of your thoughts - much appreciated.

Adam

Rifles are like cars. You pour money into them and get very little back. Much better to take your time and walk away from this one. Drive a very hard bargain, because some rifles hang around for years and years. Keep in mind that any customisation will diminish the value of the rifle to everyone except you.

Have fun, but buying rifles is an expensive caper. Selling them again is a painful caper. Buy in haste and repent at leisure.

Guntrader lists 124 .308s using my saved search.

Regards

JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 01-10-2013 at 17:16. Reason: Guntrader info added

Quote Originally Posted by neutron619 View Post
    So you're basically saying that unless I buy privately, I'm going to have to pay a premium regardless? Would any of the friendly "trade members" be willing to offer a view on this? Also, just so I have an idea, could anyone comment as to where the Pecar scopes come in the hierarchy of Zeiss / Swaro' etc. down through to Deben / Hawke? I'd like to know what they might be considered comparable to, as I'd not heard of them before I saw this rifle. Thanks for all of your thoughts - much appreciated.
    Pecar were top of their game when they were producing scopes. Don't know which scope you are looking at buying but you would probably get 300+ for it if you chose to sell it. I would then buy a 6x42 in a swaro or S+B as I prefer them. I've done some work helping a friend who is an RFD. There are some that will do you a good deal but you have to bear in mind that depending on what price they bought the rifle in at will depend on how much they have to work with. They have to run a business.