Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applecross deer stalking recommendations

Applecross deer stalking recommendations

We are just booking up to go away in the last week in november to applecross. I was hoping to have a day on the hinds while up there.

Im sure someone here will be able to recommend a stalker?

Any other infomation about the area, things to do and see would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

anyone?

thanks

Other than get exceedingly well fed and lubricated in the Inn, and take a wander to the wee sandy bays and nice SSSI Ash wood nearby - I can't think of much else! I'll see if the Mrs has any extra ideas....

Have you been before?
    Last edited by Wheesht!; 02-10-2013 at 21:13.

No, not been before. We went strontian last year and really enjoyed it. That was our first time in Scotland.

Thanks

It's a lovely place that's for sure and I second the Inn as a good spot, be mindful you have decent tyres though in November driving over the top! I have never stalked there but you could try the stalker David Abrahams on the estate details below, if no joy let me know as I have a friend who has a smaller piece of ground nearby. ATB Nick
    Email: david@applecross.org.uk
    Address: Applecross Trust Estate Office, Applecross House, Applecross IV54 8LS Deer Larder Tel: 01520 744428 or 733429.
    Last edited by NickJ; 03-10-2013 at 07:28.

Hi Whiteh and all, Forgive me if I am wrong, but I used to subscribe to Stalking Magazine and Ken Griffin wrote articles there and he was from Applecross. I believe his last task there was to eliminate all deer from the estate.

I can't really help with the stalking on the peninsula, but if it's as good as the stalking at nearby Shieldaig you are in for a treat, the scenery and atmosphere of the place is stunning. The inn gets another vote from me, and also, it is possible to, and well worth taking a circuit drive around the entire peninsula. There is a very nice cafe/restaurant called the potting shed at applecross walled garden. If you watched the Monty Halls series here he lived on the beach up there, you can always go and find his bothy at Sandy Bay.

A bit further up the road at Torridon is another very nice cafe and village stores where we had a brew and some cake whilst the stags were roaring on the hill behind us and the beach in front of us. A wonderful place to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by techman View Post
    Hi Whiteh and all, Forgive me if I am wrong, but I used to subscribe to Stalking Magazine and Ken Griffin wrote articles there and he was from Applecross. I believe his last task there was to eliminate all deer from the estate.
    You are right in that Ken Griffin who wrote in the (great wasn't it?) Stalking magazine was the Head Stalker on the Applecross estate. As mentioned I haven't been there for some years (my; now wife cooked in a lodge next door for a few seasons) but I'd be very surprised if the (Trust controlling) Wills family would sanction an elimination policy for the deer.

Quote Originally Posted by techman View Post
    Whitehackle, i have passed your details on and David at Applecross has them. I passed them on through Ken Griffin.

Techman, It was only the North Peninsula that was shot out, because of the iniquitous deal with the Forestry Commission and Scottish Natural Heritage to fence that portion of the estate in and to grow broad leaved woodland there. It greaves Ken to this day that he had to take part in that. He has much to say on the subject.

​Simon

Edit; on my last visit to Ken at Applecross, coming home over the Belach Na Bar, I had to move nice parcels of hinds off the road on the Applecross side and seven on the Kishorn side. There are still deer there!
    Last edited by flytie; 03-10-2013 at 17:13.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Thank you all very much. After going strontian last year we did not want to be disappointed with where ever we went this year, and by the sounds of it we wont be.

I will email David just to make sure and get booked in if I can.

Thank you very much