Thread: Shooting in gusting wind

Shooting in gusting wind

Here's my prefered method for shooting in gusting wind, click for the main wind and hold during the gusts.
    I basically practice shooting only to be a better stalker, so waiting for better winds are not an option - the opportunity for a shot presents itself outside my control.

Quote Originally Posted by Norway View Post
    Here's my prefered method for shooting in gusting wind, click for the main wind and hold during the gusts. I basically practice shooting only to be a better stalker, so waiting for better winds are not an option - the opportunity for a shot presents itself outside my control.
    Hi. Good to have you on the site. Are you using a standard barrel?

very good as always

do you have a still photo of the group indicator sheet you showed?

I saw a similar one recently

Yes I use standard barrels. With the moderator and scope etc the weight adds up to 4,4kgs anyway which is at my upper limit for all-day comfortable carry. I would have liked to be right under 4 kgs, but to do that I need to change to a lightweight scope or spend silly money on one of those carbon fibre stocks.

I had, but only the norwegian version. It seems the one you posted is for elite smallbore shooters? I'm saying so because of "finger placement" which is an incredibly detailed diagnose (I assume the crude errors is not included). Also "split group" should be very hard to separate from vertical stringing and would require a formal shooting range to lock your position perfect enough to catch a deviation.

But looking at group patterns, or rather, looking at the misses (not all shooters can shoot an X all day, many are rightly quite happy to hold the 8 or 9) outside your normal expected precision is incredibly valuable if you want to improve. A clumsy sentence. I'm trying to say nevermind the shots you are happy with, look at those which was worse than normal (called flyers excepted). Did that make sense? Early morning and no coffee yet...

There is a book called Ways of the Rifle. I bought mine from Edincaille sports or a similar name - uk shop. It is incredibly detailed in every aspect of shooting position (it is written for olympic level). That book and shot patterns has been of great help to my shooting.
    Last edited by Norway; 03-10-2013 at 07:19.

the pic is one a stole from an article on Professional Sporting Solutions who do full bore rifle training.

not sure I have ever produced a group with specific traits like those to be honest though!