Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: info/help on Lee loader

info/help on Lee loader

I was in my local gun shop and spotted this lee loader lurking on the shelf, I said how much and he said "make me an offer" so I got it for what i feel was a snip....

I don't really bother with reloading as I have a good supply and variety of ammo locally but a lot of my friends in the states swear by these lee hand loaders and they put A LOT of rounds down range so i figured i'd give it a try, what are the opinions on these little hand loaders? is the accuracy improvement noticable over modern factory rounds? I never heard any complaints on these...

It looks so simple to use and when you see them knocking out a round in a minute it's worth a try!

Looking at the dipper though its got "205" on it instead of the usual x.x scale and I can't find anything that tally's with the other scale so does anyone know what this equates to as there is no mention of Varget on there....

Also, what year would this be with the packaging??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6596.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	291.5 KB 
ID:	33027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6598.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	33028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6597.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	303.8 KB 
ID:	33029

thanks in advance

Gixer
    Last edited by gixer1; 02-10-2013 at 12:49.

Wow! That is an old set. I'd e-mail Lee and see if they would post you a new measure (or give you the volume) as well as send you new loading data for current powders. Of course, if they told you the volume, you could just use a Lee manual (since it lists their loads for their scoops). A set of powder scoops are fairly inexpensive...

That load data is pretty old (circa 1974 by the copy right date), I'd focus on getting some current data.

Looking at my set of Lee powder measure scoops, and the associated card, it would appear your scoop falls between 3.10cc and 3.40cc, unless the powders have gotten denser (consistently, you scoop and load data show .6-.7grs lower than the 3.40cc scoop).
    Last edited by MarinePMI; 02-10-2013 at 13:10.

Gixer i have one in 270 and its a great little tool all you need is a rubber mallet a good solid platform to work from scales and your off the benifit to these is if you are working on loads set your bullets to the longest length and hit the range with your loader and mallet and you can adjust at the range.
    you will need to use once fired brass from your rifle and trim and clean also
    the dipper i found in my 270 needed a little extra of a scoop so i just lob one dipper into the scales and trickle the rest to get the correct weight.
    if vargets not listed just keep dipping and weighing your load or buy the right dipper if it doesnt match correctly.as always start with a known load and work up atb wayne
    Last edited by mereside; 02-10-2013 at 13:08.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    Gixer i have one in 270 and its a great little tool all you need is a rubber mallet a good solid platform to work from scales and your off the benifit to these is if you are working on loads set your bullets to the longest length and hit the range with your loader and mallet and you can adjust at the range.
    you will need to use once fired brass from your rifle and trim and clean also
    the dipper i found in my 270 needed a little extra of a scoop so i just lob one dipper into the scales and trickle the rest to get the correct weight.
    if vargets not listed just keep dipping and weighing your load or buy the right dipper if it doesnt match correctly.as always start with a known load and work up atb wayne

Thanks for the info so far, I may be mistaken but i'm sure my friend across the pond was loading 30/06 and just using the dipper but i cannot remember what powder he was using, also should I just use a factory round for setting the OAL?

Regards,

Gixer

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    Thanks for the info so far, I may be mistaken but i'm sure my friend across the pond was loading 30/06 and just using the dipper but i cannot remember what powder he was using, also should I just use a factory round for setting the OAL?

Regards,

Gixer
    My first loader was one of these too - purely used the dipper as per the instructions and never had any problems with it. Still have it 30+ years later, thought the gun I used it for was banned a while back!!

Setting the seating depth with a factory round would be a good idea, it's what I do as a starting point

some powders will work using the dipper and some won't you can buy the full set of dippers so you can do it just using those but for my piece of mind would like to weigh.
    you could set to factory size to work on powder load then i would do some that fits the magazine and slowly work down from that if it fits into the correct spec for your round. that way you will know what works, just keep going down till you see the sweet spot and then it will open out again so you know exactly where you need to be. others might have better ideas,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Excellent feedback guys, hope i hear from more people on this as it seems pretty simple and effective...the video pn the net of the founder doing it doesn't even show him cleaning the brass!

Regards,

Gixer

great things
    Its Muir's fault by I now have a fettish for them!!

the old red dippers were not graduated by CC.
    you can get a whole set of dippers for 12 which allows you to use say a 4.0cc and a 0.5cc to get a required weight
    if you figure out what scoops you need I have a load of them spare, just let me know

I worked out a full spread of CC to grains for various powders I use here: (powders have different densities so 4.0cc of N160 is not the same charge by weight as 4.0cc of N165!)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rive_web#gid=6

my go tp .270 just happens to coincide with 4.0cc of N160!!
    which also coincides with a clear "one scoop load"!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    great things
    Its Muir's fault by I now have a fettish for them!!

the old red dippers were not graduated by CC.
    you can get a whole set of dippers for 12 which allows you to use say a 4.0cc and a 0.5cc to get a required weight
    if you figure out what scoops you need I have a load of them spare, just let me know

I worked out a full spread of CC to grains for various powders I use here: (powders have different densities so 4.0cc of N160 is not the same charge by weight as 4.0cc of N165!)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rive_web#gid=6

my go tp .270 just happens to coincide with 4.0cc of N160!!
    which also coincides with a clear "one scoop load"!

Ok, the old red dippers are apparently cubic inches so you take the number (205 in this case) and put a point infront of it so it's .205 cubic inches - by my reckoning this would be multiplied by 16.378 to give me cubic centimeters as per the new dippers???

And if the above is correct then on the chart for modern dippers it doesnt have a 3.275 cubic centimeter dipper so I take the one that is there (a 3.1) and then divide the grains with the powder i'm using ( i will say Varget in this case) so the figure is 42.4 grains divided by 3.1 = 13.67 then multiply this by 3.275 and this gives me 44.76 grains per dip??

Is this correct?

Regards,

Gixer

Just get some scales!